There are newer employer reviews for Brook Street

A slow and painful decline

Former Employee - Trainer in Luton, East of England, England (UK)
Former Employee - Trainer in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Brook Street full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a fantastic atmosphere amongst most of the staff and the company is small enough to have a family feel. There is a good opportunity to learn the industry for Consultants, and because of a relativly high turnover also room for progression.

Cons

The business is being run into the ground because it can't move quickly enough to keep up with the market. The website is terribly out of date, Linked In has only just appeared on their radar and the senior managers are not reacting to the needs of their customers. Most disappointing is an inability to listen to the talent advice from within the organisation in favour of sticking with the advice of a few old and trusted heads. Various initiatives have been employed to improve employee engagement but ultimately, nothing changes.

The company has been in a spiral of decline for the past 5 years posting lower and lower profits whilst continuing to engage in heavy branch closures and redundancies. This has included the closure of the training department. In the past, Brook Street's training was regarded as some of the best in the industry and now it's being performed reluctantly by a few Regional Manager alongside their normal role.

Performance targets are also well out of date being based on pre-recession business and consequently bonus is very difficult to achieve.

Brook Street, it's time to wake up! Recruitment is not the same as it was 20 years ago when your Directors started.

12 Other Employee Reviews for Brook Street (View Most Recent)

Best of a bad bunch?

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Brook Street

Pros

Above average training for the industry, certainly worthwhile for someone entering recruitment. Nationwide network makes it easy to transfer around the country if you need to.

Cons

Poor management at branch and regional level. Aggression rather than capability seems to be the qualifier for management. Favouritism, cliques and bullying are rife.

Start managing people not numbers - or if you're going to stick to numbers manage ones that matter rather than bizarre ratios that encourage lying and manipulation rather than increase revenues and profit.. Recognise talent and success, coach underperformers.

I had an excellent experience with Brook Street

Current Employee - Factory Worker in Castle Point, NY
    Current Employee - Factory Worker in Castle Point, NY

I have been working at Brook Street as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

All the paper work was thoroughly informative on the company that the agency sent me to, with clear and concise maps, and background on the job required. pay was slightly above the national average, and the staff were friendly and not at all demeaning.

Cons

The only downside was that I was not a direct employee of the company that I was being sent to, so I was fraught with worries about being dropped in favour of other agency workers.

There are newer employer reviews for Brook Street