Brookdale Senior Living

www.brookdaleliving.com

Brookdale

Former Employee - Waitstaff  in  West Hartford, CT
Former Employee - Waitstaff in West Hartford, CT

Pros

The smiles on the residents that could be pleased with our services

Cons

Many of the family of the residents walked around like they owned the place...and us, as staff. 2 realatives only came to the residence because of the bar and the free wine. One day, I caught one of the women BEHIND THE BAR!!! I asked her if she minded waiting for the bartender and she walked back to her seat. When I walked away to tell the bartender, who was in the kitchen making sombreros for a few minutes, the lady went back behind the bar! When the bartender when back to the bar, she asked the women not to go behind the bar again. The women said, very rudely, "Did the girl tell you?" (I am a young server). The fact is that, the woman had no concept of where she can and cannot be, because of liability. As staff, we are supposed to keep the residents and their family safe and it is difficult to do that if we have to baby-sit middle-aged adults (relative) looking for free alcohol. In another instance, a resident cussed in my face and made a large scene because she wanted a meal that we could not offer her and then she demanded that we go out and get her the ingredients for her meal..in the middle of service. The branch that I was working at is an INDEPENDENT living facility. If we cannot provide what you want, we cannot help you. We would be more than happy to help if it were an assisted living facility and if the resident had an aide that could get the ingredients, but we aren't. The point is that people ignore the fact that there is liability and a point where we cannot help a resident. Resident and relative are not in control. The raises was pocket change. And my co-worker, who was only 17 and living on his own, could barely support himself with the pay he was getting. Also, when I started, I had a racist manager who did the hiring in the dining room. She only hired those of the hispanic or African-American heritage; it had been that way for years. I am white and the only reason why I got hired was becasue I was a volunteer and the ED encouraged my employment. I quit because of the poor pay, racism, and the unimaginable rudeness of the residents towards myself and others, who are so young.

No leadership. Management lets the residents and relatives get away with anything and everything. Step it up

Other reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

Unprofessional Management Staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  North Wales, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Wales, PA

Pros

The Residents and the families are great to work with.
    RA's & Med-tech's very caring.

Cons

ED that yells at management staff and regional and divisional level seems to think that is okay.
    ED that says we cannot buy certain necessities due to budget.
    No managers had any proper training at all.
    Health & Wellness Director positions turn over every 3-6 months. Look on their career board, there are tons of them open, why do you think that is?

Understand that we need certain material in order to provide quality care for our residents and that the nursing staff need certain items for safety reasons as well.

Medical Records

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

The best part of this job was the residence living in the community.

Cons

It was the worst job I've ever had and so unorganized. There was no training and every little direction on what your job is..They don't like to fire people so they force them to quit because they don't like to pay unemployment benefits.

There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living.

Worked for Brookdale Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!