Brookdale Senior Living

www.brookdaleliving.com
There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

Brookdale

Former Employee - Waitstaff in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The smiles on the residents that could be pleased with our services

Cons

Many of the family of the residents walked around like they owned the place...and us, as staff. 2 realatives only came to the residence because of the bar and the free wine. One day, I caught one of the women BEHIND THE BAR!!! I asked her if she minded waiting for the bartender and she walked back to her seat. When I walked away to tell the bartender, who was in the kitchen making sombreros for a few minutes, the lady went back behind the bar! When the bartender when back to the bar, she asked the women not to go behind the bar again. The women said, very rudely, "Did the girl tell you?" (I am a young server). The fact is that, the woman had no concept of where she can and cannot be, because of liability. As staff, we are supposed to keep the residents and their family safe and it is difficult to do that if we have to baby-sit middle-aged adults (relative) looking for free alcohol. In another instance, a resident cussed in my face and made a large scene because she wanted a meal that we could not offer her and then she demanded that we go out and get her the ingredients for her meal..in the middle of service. The branch that I was working at is an INDEPENDENT living facility. If we cannot provide what you want, we cannot help you. We would be more than happy to help if it were an assisted living facility and if the resident had an aide that could get the ingredients, but we aren't. The point is that people ignore the fact that there is liability and a point where we cannot help a resident. Resident and relative are not in control. The raises was pocket change. And my co-worker, who was only 17 and living on his own, could barely support himself with the pay he was getting. Also, when I started, I had a racist manager who did the hiring in the dining room. She only hired those of the hispanic or African-American heritage; it had been that way for years. I am white and the only reason why I got hired was becasue I was a volunteer and the ED encouraged my employment. I quit because of the poor pay, racism, and the unimaginable rudeness of the residents towards myself and others, who are so young.

No leadership. Management lets the residents and relatives get away with anything and everything. Step it up

480 Other Employee Reviews for Brookdale Senior Living (View Most Recent)

Unprofessional Management Staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Wales, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Wales, PA

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

The Residents and the families are great to work with.
    RA's & Med-tech's very caring.

Cons

ED that yells at management staff and regional and divisional level seems to think that is okay.
    ED that says we cannot buy certain necessities due to budget.
    No managers had any proper training at all.
    Health & Wellness Director positions turn over every 3-6 months. Look on their career board, there are tons of them open, why do you think that is?

Understand that we need certain material in order to provide quality care for our residents and that the nursing staff need certain items for safety reasons as well.

Brookdale

Former Employee - Waitstaff in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A good place to get to know others and work on people skills. People skills were very important and I had to work hard to come out of my shell to help the residents have an enjoyable dining experience. The food was great , is worth the $15 a meal, and there were a lot of choices, despite what the residents would say.

Cons

Many residents were not pleasant. Some had the idea that they owned the place because they freely let themselves literally WALK INTO the kitchen and dining room whenever they pleased. Others were very rude in terms of realizing that they were not the only ones being taken care of by a waitstaff member. In terms of waitstaff, less than half would actually work. Others sat on their butts, eating and talking, while their residents constantly called for them. There was no leadership at all. The employees that sat on their butts did not respect any one, nor did they smile or at least try to converse with the residents; the residents did not enjoy having lifeless servers. These servers did not clean properly and did not wash their hands during service. I would not want to by served by someone with bad hygiene. The pay was not decent. For 4 hours, we were required to stand and lift heavy objects for 4 hours straight, without much opportunity to sit. Minimum wage would be enough if we were able to get tips, but we did not. I think that corporate things that the waitstaff (being a young group) did not have any financial needs that could benefit from better pay. Many employees I worked with were living on their own and the pay was not enough. Just because we were young, does not mean that we deserve to be paid horribly. Also, we got raises every year based on how well we worked... It was pocket change and it was not a fair pay. I got the same raise as somebody that did half the work. There was no communication. On family days, the waitstaff was told to go to a particular place and we had no idea what we were required to do and the guests were blaming us for not knowing.

Please don't assume that you know everything going on. There's a lot of drama and poor hygiene. Somebody needs to actually witness what's going on. It's not fair to be treating the people that actually do the work properly, without praise or letting the lazy employees get away with the stuff that they do. Management needs to step up!

There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living