Brookdale Senior Living

Great company- I love it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Brookdale sells a product I truly believe in....licensed AL with 24 hour nursing services on site, not just on-call! Big difference!

Cons

The only downside to working for Brookdale is that you can get really attached to the residents you serve and due tot he nature of our business, they pass away eventually and you never know when you come into work every day if someone you really like may have passed away overnight....very sad.

Make an effort to familiarize yourselves with the competitors in the markets where you have buildings so that you can understand the challanges of the sales team. Also attend some of the sales events to understand their good efforts.

410 Other Employee Reviews for Brookdale Senior Living (View Most Recent)

Realization that I would not put my parent there, then it is time to go.

Former Employee - Life Enrichment Coordinator  in  Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Life Enrichment Coordinator in Loveland, CO

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great medical benefits and some great residents.

Cons

Not enough staff with too many demands in an unrealistic amount of time. I.e. that it is to take 10 minutes to give an elderly person a shower. Depending on who the Executive Director of the day is, has much to do with the feel of the community. Five in six years for me. The last two were cold and impersonal (families assesment). Keep problemsome employees and some good employees leave because of that. At first you think that ISC Therapy is good. Yes the premise is but when you go through the roster weekly to come up with people that "need" it equates to creating more revenue.

Brookdale you need to come into the times that are upon us. It is not fair to have such people with advanced dementia with ones without. Would constantly see the frustration with residents that were more cognitive trying to enjoy an activity where someone is constantly repeating, interupting and behavorial. In fairness to the individuals with dementia they are lost in the shuffle. Also gear programming more to geographical area. My population could care less about touring the world in travel discussions and food that they are not adventuresome to try. Very little rewards. We were not given an employee Christmas party unless it was partly funded by donations from families. Staff already felt aprreciated by families, it would be nice to feel it by your director. Create some incentives for middle management as for now there are none. Pull more on salaried managers than ones that can barely get their job done and work 37.5 hours a week.

Never again! Run don't walk.

Former Employee - CNA  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - CNA in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Enjoyed working with the elderly.

Cons

Bad management with no idea of what it is to value your employees.

Take the time to listen to your employees instead of being quick to discipline when it is not warranted. Mangement needs to be well versed on running a skilled nursing facility before passing judgment to its employees. Very low staffed. If you work here you will not have an outside family life. They are very low staffed and will work you to the bone without hesitation. You will be used and abused. Not a professional environment. No opportunity for advancement here.

There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

Worked for Brookdale Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!