Brookdale Senior Living

www.brookdaleliving.com
  www.brookdaleliving.com
There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

To much focus on cutting cost of food and labor

Former Employee - Food Service Coordinator in Florida, NY
Former Employee - Food Service Coordinator in Florida, NY

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I could make a difference in the residents lives by working hard to improve the quality of the food and service. Enjoyed working on holidays to provide the assisted living residents a wonderful meal.
The Pro-Chef's, regional chef's who came in to help during kitchen staff emergencies where very helpful and well trained.

Cons

Shortly after I was trained the cost cutting started. Reduced hours for staff caused my best worker to quit. Two other employees got in a fight and where fired. I had to rehire and train a complete new staff but one job was reduced to part time. Guess who had to step in and work like a dog? Finding a good reliable cooks who would work for $10.50 an hour and get 35 hours per week is very tough!
After rebuilding the staff and reaching the one year mark with the company I left. Did I say the pay was 40% lower than the market for kitchen management?

Let the managers make the decisions. Stop giving all the work to the busiest workers. Stop cutting labor. Hire a part time pot washer. When cooks have to wash all the pots each shift they are forced to take short cuts to keep up.

One cook has to cook breakfast and lunch, transport and setup three satellite buildings, write menu boards, tally and cook ala carte items, have a server meeting, prep for the next day, take out the trash and do pots and pans in 7 1/2 hours? How about you try it?

Stop the two tier benefits! Hourly employees must wait months for health insurance and get less vacation!

485 Other Employee Reviews for Brookdale Senior Living (View Most Recent)

A Therapist working for them.

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Tampa, FL

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Seniors that we worked for. The people who lived in the community made each day tolerable.

Cons

As was mentioned by others, it's all about the numbers, not the people. A good facade is placed on that. The management made most days like you wouldn't want to get out of bed.

Be less Pitt Bull and more Retriever,. Don't bite the hand that helps you, look at the staff as if each one was the CEO. People before reports and projections. People before just the bottom line.

It was good to work there.

Former Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are on top of things. Fair working condition. Got to work right away after applying. co-workers were alrite.

Cons

i have no comments on this matter.

There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living