There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

It's just as good as any other, I guess.

Current Employee - Occupational Therapy Assistant in Saint Petersburg, FL
Current Employee - Occupational Therapy Assistant in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They provide a lot of lunches and occasionally free toys as a way of saying thanks. Hours might get cut if the patient load isn’t there -- I’m okay with that as it beats getting laid off. It's easy to get transferred to another facility (provided there's an opening).

Cons

They cut all the bonuses in half and they can only be attained now during Years 2 through 7 of employment. For the life of me, I don't see how a company as big as Brookedale/ISC can't get cheaper insurance rates for its employees. It’s embarrassing to compare what I pay to somebody else who pays half of what I do working for an employer who isn’t even nationwide. I also have a friend who works for a lawyer -- $18 Q fortnight for insurance coverage just for himself. What a crock of crap. I’ve never worked for a company who had such bad insurance before … maybe “embarrassing” isn’t a good word. Humiliating might be better. If I were Brookdale/ISC, I think I’d be hiring somebody else to do some renegotiating. There has to be an insurance company in the good ole US of A that would LOVE to offer better rates to Brookdale/ISC.

Advice to Management

Mgmt could care less what their employees think... in that respect, Brookedale/ISC is no different than any other company.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. excellent company

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great management. For a for profit publicly traded company, they do a great job putting residents first. The company is focused on putting the needs of families and seniors first

Cons

It is a for-profit company with many ambitious goals . Many people that don't understand corporate America may not be a good fit for this company. It is not a mom and pop operation. There are executives and shareholders that need to be pleased as well.

Enjoyed the community, did not enjoy working with regional management

Former Employee - Management in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Management in Tampa, FL

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The residents were the best part of the job. Associates worked well as a team.

Cons

TOO MUCH REGIONAL MANAGEMENT Regional Management Team was ineffective. Regional VP micro managed the community Regional VP never acknowledged the associates when walking around the community. Regional VP never had a smile on her face; always looked mean. Regional VP followed the "Peter Principle" rise to your level of incompentence. Regional VP was the poster child for this concept. Regional VP always misplaced emails and got upset because they were not sent; sent the original email; no apology ever was returned. Regional VP showed favoritism to certain communities Communication with regional management team was very suspect; phone messages and/or emails were either never returned or returned after the issue was resoleved. Long term associates had the feeling of entitlement. Too many clicks around the community

Advice to Management

Replace the Regional VP with someone who understands the business more