Good Company Gone Bad

Former Employee - Regional
Former Employee - Regional

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work when it was the original Brookdale.

Cons

Now too big, too beauractatic and too clicky...Kiss but to get anyway or they fir you!

Advice to Management

Get it together...Replace upper management with people who know the business and can relate to their employees and their residents. You guys grew TOO big, TOO fast and kept the WRONG PEOPLE in positions of POWER! f I'm sorry to say I would NOT recommend the NEW Brookdale.

Other Employee Reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

Short sighted company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

Professional wages are good; staff are patient oriented and caring toward residents. Benefit menu good; costs excessive..

Cons

Caregivers poorly educated/supported and underpaid. Corporate culture is command and control...top down directives; very demotivating environment.

Advice to Management

Offering SNF level care requires properly trained caregivers! Retaining staff should be a higher priority for company success. Corp. culture is outdated and will dwarf company success in new healthcare environment and workforce pool. Employees don't feel valued, trusted, or trustful of management. Programs are great on paper, but not supported with enough properly trained staff to implement them.

If you don't play the office politics game, don't expect to move up

Current Employee - Corporate Associate
    Current Employee - Corporate Associate

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of great co-workers, decent pay for what I do, working in an industry where you can positively affect people's lives

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities if you don't kiss up to the right people, favoritism, lack of diversity among upper management, not enough positive feedback from supervisor

Advice to Management

The mood on the all-company call that was held just days after many long-time employees were demoted or laid off was too cheerful and joking, and it was disrespectful to those who were going through a very difficult time. I know we are supposed to have fun every day but more decorum was needed. Also, post positions that are available before granting them to whomever kissed your butt the most. You open yourself up to lawsuits by not giving everyone a chance.