Brookdale Senior Living

Short sighted company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

Professional wages are good; staff are patient oriented and caring toward residents.
Benefit menu good; costs excessive..

Cons

Caregivers poorly educated/supported and underpaid. Corporate culture is command and control...top down directives; very demotivating environment.

Offering SNF level care requires properly trained caregivers! Retaining staff should be a higher priority for company success. Corp. culture is outdated and will dwarf company success in new healthcare environment and workforce pool. Employees don't feel valued, trusted, or trustful of management. Programs are great on paper, but not supported with enough properly trained staff to implement them.

485 Other Employee Reviews for Brookdale Senior Living (View Most Recent)

It's just as good as any other, I guess.

Current Employee - Occupational Therapy Assistant in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapy Assistant in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They provide a lot of lunches and occasionally free toys as a way of saying thanks. Hours might get cut if the patient load isn’t there -- I’m okay with that as it beats getting laid off. It's easy to get transferred to another facility (provided there's an opening).

Cons

They cut all the bonuses in half and they can only be attained now during Years 2 through 7 of employment. For the life of me, I don't see how a company as big as Brookedale/ISC can't get cheaper insurance rates for its employees. It’s embarrassing to compare what I pay to somebody else who pays half of what I do working for an employer who isn’t even nationwide. I also have a friend who works for a lawyer -- $18 Q fortnight for insurance coverage just for himself. What a crock of crap. I’ve never worked for a company who had such bad insurance before … maybe “embarrassing” isn’t a good word. Humiliating might be better. If I were Brookdale/ISC, I think I’d be hiring somebody else to do some renegotiating. There has to be an insurance company in the good ole US of A that would LOVE to offer better rates to Brookdale/ISC.

Mgmt could care less what their employees think... in that respect, Brookedale/ISC is no different than any other company.

excellent company

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great management. For a for profit publicly traded company, they do a great job putting residents first. The company is focused on putting the needs of families and seniors first

Cons

It is a for-profit company with many ambitious goals . Many people that don't understand corporate America may not be a good fit for this company. It is not a mom and pop operation. There are executives and shareholders that need to be pleased as well.

There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living