There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

An OK place to work back in the day.

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Team Members at community level

Cons

Poor Regional Management - Not available and not at communities

Advice to Management

Regionals should work more closely with community teams, and build a rapport with their direct reports.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Makes you rethink your values and professionalism

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sun City Center, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sun City Center, FL

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great upkeep of buildings and communities; pretty good compensation package & benefits

Cons

"Care for our residents and the bottom line will take care of itself." This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth. They take care of the superficials -- paint, furniture, landscaping. They neglect the core of their business -- the residents and the employees that serve them. I loved this company. I worked for them for years. But the changes have not been for the better. It has become all about the profit margin, that I finally decided to leave.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that actually do the daily work. Don't let the profit margin dictate every decision you make.

Love the residents and families, but corporate sucks the life out of you. RUN....

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing great about the company itself, rather the pros come from being able to help people and their families through the aging process.

Cons

Complete lack of understanding of what happens at the community level.
    Unrealistic expectations of line-staff and management.
    Tons and tons of wasted money on endless 'pilot programs'
    Understaffed EVERY SINGLE DAY
    Low wages, awful benefits.
    On call 24/7...even when you're off.
    Not being provided essential tools to do job...ie. cell phone, or cell phone reimbursement
    Training is an absolute JOKE, if you even get it.

I think I've said enough. If you are intelligent, driven and want a life, please look elsewhere. Brookdale does not practice the values they shove down your throat on a daily basis. Brookdale exploits the elderly with their high rates and increases. Money is not invested in better quality staff, food, care, services,etc. Brookdale cares about the bottom line. Period. I have worked in various aspects of this company and I am simply disgusted and what I've learned.

Advice to Management

Get your heads out of the clouds and come back to earth. Spend some time in the communities, speak with your care staff and community leaders! We are the people who keeps things going, yet you treat us as though we don't exist. Your business decisions are poor and thoughtless, at best. Why don't you start investing in the people who make Brookdale a reality?