There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

Industry to which you can easily relate

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

Because most of the people are in the field, it feels like a small company at the corporate level.

Cons

Both a pro and a con - its internal infrastructure still is in the developmental stages. However, you can be a part of this change effort.

Advice to Management

Never lose sight of the front line associates who truly make the experience for the customer.

reviews filtered by

My Experience as a Sales & marketing Director at the Community Level

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had an opportunity to work with some amazing individuals.

Cons

I was employed by Brookdale Senior Living for two and half years. I was able to raise the occupancy at my assisted community from 78% to 98%. Being employed by Brookdale was extremely challenging. I was consistently asked to work long hours and many times would work two to three weeks without a day off., This was even after Brookdale decided to have their sales people go from salary to hourly. I was often told by my Regional Sales Director that not ending the month without a raise in occupancy was "not an option." Typical sales practices that were encouraged: to have a family sign the lease agreement without a physician's report or even before an assessment so our census numbers always looked positive. When I started to voice concerns over the condition and safety hazards of the assisted living community, for example torn carpet in hallways, inadequate lightning in the hallways, urine stain carpet in the residents apartments that never got replaced , and wallpaper in the hallways that never was not replaced but just painted over and peeling.. I was told by Senior management "that I no longer believed in the product." I was eventually terminated from my position for being negative. Once terminated, I was never able to collect my commission until I enlisted the help of the Corporate Human Resources Director. I thought being terminated by Brookdale was going to be a permanent scare on my resume. However, just the opposite I was told by several other assisted living companies at applied and interviewed at that the "best people always end up getting terminated by Brookdale." I have recovered from my experience at Brookdale and I though I was initially grateful for the opportunity to be employed by Brookdale. I am even more grateful not to be employed by Brookdale.

Advice to Management

You have some very talented and caring people who are employed at the community. Please start treating them with respect.

Hot Mess

Former Employee - Business/Financial Management in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Business/Financial Management in Providence, RI

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The residents and their families were a joy. There was never a dull moment in our community as far as interesting, sweet, hilarious and lovely older people are concerned. They are the life blood of the communities and make it all worthwhile.

Cons

Oh, where to be-GIN! Very little training, lots of online resources, and you can always call a regional person who will put up with your call the same way they would a bill collector. There is too much gossip and back-stabbing, closed door good ol' boy meetings and nepotism. They nickle and dime the residents on every tiny thing, and so help you if you have to "walk someone through" the billing process. I have nick-named this company Crookdale because they are going to take you coming and going, whether you are a resident, family member, employee or manager. If you think you will make a difference by working here, you are sorely mistaken. This company will suck the life-blood out of you until you are a hollow shell and then give you a hard time about taking time off.

You will work at least 60 hours a week if you are a salaried manager and you better smile and pretend to like it, otherwise you are labeled with a "bad attitude". There is a fine line between streamlining and sweatshops. I shudder to think about how the company culture will suffer with the misguided acquisition of Emeritus. If you haven't had a bad Crookdale experience yet, I can guarantee you will once "X percent of elder persons over 65 will be within a ten mile radius of a Brookdale Community". The only good way to have a relationship with Brookdale is to be a stock-holder. Brookdale reeeeeeeeeeally loves their stock-holders.

Advice to Management

Ditch the feel good tripe you shove down the throats of new employees. Throw out the perks they're promised, they never get to use them anyways. Tell new employees exactly what your culture is like: you want all of their time for the absolute lowest wage they will take, you will place the rules in direct opposition to their conscience and instinct to care for the residents and you will force them to abide by rules that do not apply to everyone...just the people you think need to be taught a lesson.

Come down off your high horse and work as a server or a CNA in your buildings. Actually do the work in the time you allow for these workers to complete care on someone in one of your subacute units. Work on the maintenance crew. Go in on a HOLIDAY WEEKEND! If you are going to sell Memory Care, make damn sure you are giving the residents everything you promise (and charge them for). You should be ashamed, executive management team of Crookdale Elder Holding Pens Nationwide, regionals and all. This is not the way to care for the people who raised your generation, saw a country through Depression, Recessions and War. It's not enough to put someone in an Assisted Living room, you have to have the staff and the spendable hours to foster a quality of life. This doesn't make them "needy", this makes them an elder in your care! The industry has changed over the last 15 years, the age your residents are coming to you has increased, the income of these people has steadily decreased and the Medical Assistance rules (if you are one of the few Brookdales that actually accepts state aid) are set up for the elderly to be denied assistance. And it's not like Brookdale is going to do anything to help with that process either.
    Either be an all-inclusive, pay-through-the-nose, elitist "no pay-no stay" health spa/resort/casino/brothel/community and advertise yourself as such, or be truthful in what you put in your *very expensive* tv adverts. It is disgraceful what you have done to this industry and us jerks at the bottom of the totem poles doing all the grunt work. You are too big for your own good and I can't wait to see you fall.

There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living