Brookdale Senior Living

www.brookdaleliving.com
  www.brookdaleliving.com
There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

Industry to which you can easily relate

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

Because most of the people are in the field, it feels like a small company at the corporate level.

Cons

Both a pro and a con - its internal infrastructure still is in the developmental stages. However, you can be a part of this change effort.

Never lose sight of the front line associates who truly make the experience for the customer.

410 Other Employee Reviews for Brookdale Senior Living (View Most Recent)

Careless

Current Employee - Executive Director  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Like McDonald's you will be able to find one of these places on every corner. Like McDonald's you literally cannot eat your every meal here, every day. This is not a company where any resident or staff can thrive, but, maybe just survive.

Cons

Careless is the word that comes to mind when I think about the train wreck of the broken Emeritus and the robotic Brookdale coming together. What can Wall Street and any investors hope to gain by seeing this Frankenstein of a company literally distort the real need to in our country of caring for seniors. Emails and memos come out defending the management team and even saying our most recent "Top Ten Worst Places to Work" is just fabricated by "some disgruntled former employees". I still work here because I am too tired to look for another job and I have little to no hope for my own career future. I miss so many of the leaders who created the original Brookdale and American Retirement Company, as they brought a real heart and soul to believing we all at the community level could really care and be responsible. Now, we are treated like robots in a computer dashboard world of keeping the toilet paper and food costs below budget. There is no focus on our residents or our staff. Only numbers and the little daily "metrics" of micromanaging our leaders and this simple, but over data driven Brookdale world of believing this is any type of real management.

Apologize for running off all the great corporate, divisional and regional leaders who actually came to visit us and sat down with a cup of coffee to 'ask" us how they could help us. You can't replicate this in an email or on a daily data report. People want to be treated with the dignity and respect, you say you want us to give the residents. The Human Resource leaders are a joke. They wouldn't know how to care for us if they tried. No one trusts HR, as we all know they have created this horrific management structure. I've worked here for more than ten years and I don't even recognize the company any more. Just sad I made this profession my career path. I really have no hope for this company and believe it will bring down the whole concept of what assisted living or community care can look like....I just see more people staying home until they die. Who wants this cookie cutter lifestyle choice....Not me and I work here....so sad.

Hot Mess

Former Employee - Business/Financial Management  in  Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Business/Financial Management in Providence, RI

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

The residents and their families were a joy. There was never a dull moment in our community as far as interesting, sweet, hilarious and lovely older people are concerned. They are the life blood of the communities and make it all worthwhile.

Cons

Oh, where to be-GIN! Very little training, lots of online resources, and you can always call a regional person who will put up with your call the same way they would a bill collector. There is too much gossip and back-stabbing, closed door good ol' boy meetings and nepotism. They nickle and dime the residents on every tiny thing, and so help you if you have to "walk someone through" the billing process. I have nick-named this company Crookdale because they are going to take you coming and going, whether you are a resident, family member, employee or manager. If you think you will make a difference by working here, you are sorely mistaken. This company will suck the life-blood out of you until you are a hollow shell and then give you a hard time about taking time off.

You will work at least 60 hours a week if you are a salaried manager and you better smile and pretend to like it, otherwise you are labeled with a "bad attitude". There is a fine line between streamlining and sweatshops. I shudder to think about how the company culture will suffer with the misguided acquisition of Emeritus. If you haven't had a bad Crookdale experience yet, I can guarantee you will once "X percent of elder persons over 65 will be within a ten mile radius of a Brookdale Community". The only good way to have a relationship with Brookdale is to be a stock-holder. Brookdale reeeeeeeeeeally loves their stock-holders.

Ditch the feel good tripe you shove down the throats of new employees. Throw out the perks they're promised, they never get to use them anyways. Tell new employees exactly what your culture is like: you want all of their time for the absolute lowest wage they will take, you will place the rules in direct opposition to their conscience and instinct to care for the residents and you will force them to abide by rules that do not apply to everyone...just the people you think need to be taught a lesson.

Come down off your high horse and work as a server or a CNA in your buildings. Actually do the work in the time you allow for these workers to complete care on someone in one of your subacute units. Work on the maintenance crew. Go in on a HOLIDAY WEEKEND! If you are going to sell Memory Care, make damn sure you are giving the residents everything you promise (and charge them for). You should be ashamed, executive management team of Crookdale Elder Holding Pens Nationwide, regionals and all. This is not the way to care for the people who raised your generation, saw a country through Depression, Recessions and War. It's not enough to put someone in an Assisted Living room, you have to have the staff and the spendable hours to foster a quality of life. This doesn't make them "needy", this makes them an elder in your care! The industry has changed over the last 15 years, the age your residents are coming to you has increased, the income of these people has steadily decreased and the Medical Assistance rules (if you are one of the few Brookdales that actually accepts state aid) are set up for the elderly to be denied assistance. And it's not like Brookdale is going to do anything to help with that process either.
    Either be an all-inclusive, pay-through-the-nose, elitist "no pay-no stay" health spa/resort/casino/brothel/community and advertise yourself as such, or be truthful in what you put in your *very expensive* tv adverts. It is disgraceful what you have done to this industry and us jerks at the bottom of the totem poles doing all the grunt work. You are too big for your own good and I can't wait to see you fall.

There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

Worked for Brookdale Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!