Brookhaven LAB

www.bnl.gov
  www.bnl.gov
There are newer employer reviews for Brookhaven LAB

Wonderful opportunities to do great science.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Upton, NY
Former Employee - Research Assistant in Upton, NY

I worked at Brookhaven LAB

Pros

Science -- A diverse array of scientific opportunities for research with world class people.

Location -- Reasonably close to New York City.

Cons

Location -- Upton, NY is in the pine barrens of Long Island. There is not a lot around the lab to do. The cost of living is also substantial.

Spend less time addressing the lab community as a whole. Lab wide meetings are informative and helpful, but there were too many while I was there.

76 Other Employee Reviews for Brookhaven LAB (View Most Recent)

Brookhaven National Laboratory is a Fantastic Place to Work.

Current Employee - Advanced Applications Engineer in Upton, NY
    Current Employee - Advanced Applications Engineer in Upton, NY

I have been working at Brookhaven LAB

Pros

The benefits are pretty darn good. There is a great employee organization onsite BERA that hosts a variety of clubs, trips and events. The campus style environment is fantastic. The organization has the potential to have a very positive impact not just on the country but the world. The lab is a beautiful place to work.

Cons

The lab isn't near much in the way of fast food or entertainment. Sure, fast food is about 10 minutes away, but restaurants are pretty much limited to AppleBee's and Friendly's unless you want to drive a ways.

I think the managers in my department are doing a wonderful job. They provide a fairly stress free environment of cooperation.

It was a rewarding experience to contribute to a world renowned facility.

Former Employee - Project Engineer (Electrical) in Upton, NY
    Former Employee - Project Engineer (Electrical) in Upton, NY

I worked at Brookhaven LAB

Pros

It’s the people that make the place great. I got to work with some of the best professionals on the planet; from the management and Ph-D’s to the technicians. There is so much that can be learned at BNL if you are interested. It was a cooperative effort to make the facility function well; which makes a great environment to work in. I would even visit other departments to ask questions, and everyone was very eager to talk about what they were working on. It is a great place for innovation, and as an engineer I had plenty of opportunity apply creative solutions to new situations. There was also interdepartmental cooperation which added to positive atmosphere of the facility.

Cons

Working for a facility that gets its funding from the government can get a little annoying. The government had a tendency to jerk BNL around when it came to deciding on a budget.

Keep up the good work. I was very proud to be part of the C-ad family at BNL for ~20 years. I’m only gone because of a disability, but I’m still willing to assist in any way I can.

There are newer employer reviews for Brookhaven LAB