There are newer employer reviews for Brooks Brothers

Good company. Each store has its own issues.

Current Employee - Sales Associate Factory Outlet
Current Employee - Sales Associate Factory Outlet

I have been working at Brooks Brothers part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1/2 off discount. Clean environment. Selling high end merchandise can lead to meeting good contacts for the future.

Cons

Normal retail issues. No set schedules, not challenging, black friday and other holidays that must be worked.

Make sure key holders are respectable and well trained. Not just with product knowledge but with processes and people-managing skills.

138 Other Employee Reviews for Brooks Brothers (View Most Recent)

Excellent Company, One Horrible Manager

Current Employee - Stock Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Stock Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Brooks Brothers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

As far as the retail experience goes, this is an excellent company with many benefits. In this economy most companies offer excuses for lower pay, hours and benefits however Brooks Brothers has never offered such excuses. They pay above average and offer benefits to part time workers. They also encourage workers through positive and intuitive ideas. After working for this company I believe in the quality and effort that goes into the product and service. Brooks Brothers will continue to set the standards in the industry as long as Mr. Del Vecchio continues to operate this wonderful company.

Cons

While this is a private company I find higher level corporate to act more like a public company at times. When the district manager comes around people nearly run and hide, acting like their jobs are on the line when in fact they are typically not. My only advice to them is to change their sales system in a way that encourages employees to make more sales regardless of UPT. I find at another store people refuse to accept a sale and will ring it up on another persons number in order to evade taking the UPT hit. Instead they should be pushing the overall amount of sales as a person that buys one item today, may be a lifelong customer tomorrow.

While I find most management at Brooks Brothers exemplary, my store in particular leaves a lot of room for improvement as far as listening skills and intervention. Additionally organization towards stock and customer relations could also use improvement. However I realize this is a local issue.

Factory stores

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Brooks Brothers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great brand, friendly work environment, on going training, good management.

Cons

Low wages, just above state minimum.
    Employee discount is nice, but still doesn't make the clothing affordable to employees on hourly. Yet the store beats the drums for employees to wear their brand. Catch 22 situation. (The discount is hardly an incentive to drop 2 day or more worth of wages on 1 or 2 garments)
    The Brand is evolving yet its too slow and is too deeply entrenched in the past. (i.e. music.... sets the initial shopping environment tone for the stores yet with exception it is from my grandparents era of music or terribly remade like a Lawrence Welk hour) "Younger" shoppers who are more fashion conscious or have their own style routinely walk past without even once considering Brooks as an shopping option.
    NEED TO ATTACH YOUNGER SHOPPERS and their tastes, THE BLUE BLOOD BB'S CUSTOMER ARE DIEING OUT. The days are gone when customers lived by 1 brand/style theme. Brooks has to move beyond this mindset if really wants to stay relevant.
    4 social peers upon learning I was working at Brooks said "what do they sell" Bad commentary considering they have all have walked past the store!

Practice and implement thinking outside the box with product offerings, merchandising, presentation.

There are newer employer reviews for Brooks Brothers