There are newer employer reviews for Brookshire Grocery

BGC has provided me with great learning opportunities and a good working atmosphere.

Current Employee - Retail Support (IT) in Tyler, TX
Current Employee - Retail Support (IT) in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Brookshire Grocery full-time

Pros

The company atmosphere among many people is very encouraging. People who work here normally want to be here and departments are small enough that your department will start to feel like a family. The commute was very short for me and I was provided several opportunities to learn new systems with projects and system upgrades. I enjoy coming to work for this company most days which is something to be said about a company. The company does it's best to keep employees up to date on the current objectives and goals so that all partners know exactly where the company is headed and how it intends to get there. The company also tries to provide priority on new jobs to existing partners before hiring from the outside. While this is a little thing, it gains a lot of loyalty from employees.

Cons

There are very few options for career advancement through promotions (this is largely due to the size of the company and the low turnover). The atmosphere around most coworkers is good and encouraging, but upper management seems to talk down to people some times. They try to push company loyalty, but they do it at the extent that it is almost guilting/threatening to people if they purchase from any competitors. The hours in IT are very long and the pay definitely does not hold up with larger cities (to be expected). IT is involved in everything, which is good, but the upper management pushes way to many things on people making 40+ hour weeks far too often.

Talk with your bottom and middle level employees. Ask them about the things they worry about inside the company, ask them how much time they were able to spend with their family last week (without their laptop). Also, work on making your company attract your employees instead of telling them they are expected to shop at your stores. Lastly, less meetings. Status meetings are largely a waste. If you have more than 4-5 people in a status meeting, chances are 75% of them are going to only be interested in a few seconds of the discussion. Consider having someone coordinate with all team members ahead of time and provide a weekly status via a quick huddle or team email.

60 Other Employee Reviews for Brookshire Grocery (View Most Recent)

Okay for the money

Former Employee - Cashier in Sulphur Springs, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Sulphur Springs, TX

I worked at Brookshire Grocery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is consistent, there usually are holiday bonuses, great vacation time after one year of service that is paid, Christian company (not many are these days).

Cons

You don't get a discount on food, although they mention that you may get off for college or high school they are unforgiving with extra classes and do not always work around them, there have been numerous issues with management in the past and their "open door policy" is not always so.

Always remember the Golden Rule!

Truly a great company to work for

Former Employee - Cashier in Willow Park, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Willow Park, TX

I worked at Brookshire Grocery part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great customer service - even if I went to work in a bad mood, I was usually cheered up by the end of my shift
    -Kind coworkers
    -Good benefits
    -Very flexible for high school students

Cons

-Not a lot of room for advancement without changing stores
    -Management not always pleasant, especially in newer or remodeled stores - it is possible to maintain a good relationship with your employees while still maintaining control!

Stay flexible. Tenured employees deserve respect.

There are newer employer reviews for Brookshire Grocery