There are newer employer reviews for Brother International

Good work if you can get it!

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Irvine, CA
Former Employee - Operations Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Brother International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My experience with Brother was absolutely positive. Unfortunately for me the economy turn a turn for the worst and the company was forced to down size in certain market segments. I remain in touch with people from Brother hear about some good changes that they have implemented. It appears that their future is quite optimistic. I think anyone who is lucky enough to land a job there will be quite happy with the experience. The pay is decent and the benefits are good. I grew with the company until a lay off.

Cons

Can not recall anything negative.

22 Other Employee Reviews for Brother International (View Most Recent)

The best company I worked for in 45 years of work

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Brother International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fair, honest, worldwide company. Very good work environment. Good opportunity for internal advancement if you are hard worker.

Cons

Downsizing can be tough every few years.

Be careful

Former Employee - Major Accounts Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Major Accounts Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brother International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits- Healh Insurance coverage and cost seems to be reasonable
    Money-Salary is not bad but unsure how it compares to similar jobs
    Coworkers-I did not work at Corporate, but my coworkers I met and communicated with were very helpful and professional.

Cons

Stability- They can and will let you go at anytime- at least in sales. I was hired into a territory that was never visited by Brother or purchased Brother- as an Outside Rep. My territory included very large education institutions. In 7 months I basically had the time to visit the majority of these accounts, drive all over the place, shake someone's hand, and begin the relationship by follow ups. All this without the benefits of any type of leads. Anyone who is in sales knows relationship building takes a long time in major accounts who don't currently buy. Long story short, I was terminated without any type of warning on my 8 month anniversary. Hardly enough time to establish yourself in a completely untouched territory that is dominated by leasing contracts, and the 800lb gorilla, HP.
    Old fashioned- While they finally appear to be coming around, they are not as inovative as competitors. They do little marketing to get the word out compared to HP, Lexmark, Ricoh, etc.
    Management- Many of the upper managers do not have a clue of what our jobs consists of. It's all about the bottom line...even when we do not neccessarily control the bottom line. Brother does not sell direct
    Brother does not sell direct- Initially, I liked the fact that they didn't sell direct. I thought it may be an advantage when you weren't in direct competition with resellers. Now, I feel it was a huge disadvantage. There is a significant dependence on resellers to sell your product. While you can preach the gospel about Brother, ultimately the reseller sells the product and frankly HP is king (because of name and spiffs).Besides this, there is a lot of dependence needed on the resellers and distributors, which makes it hard when you are stuck with a target you need to achieve and Joe Blow reseller, doesn't feel like calling you back.

Value your employees. If you are going to invest in hiring an employee for a new role, make sure they have all the tools to succeed. Don't hang them out to dry and then let them go without any specific reason. Instead, have management actually coach and develop to come with possible better solutions/outcomes.

There are newer employer reviews for Brother International