Brown Distributing

www.browndistributing.com
  www.browndistributing.com
There are newer employer reviews for Brown Distributing

A rudderless ship, haplessly searching for direction.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX

I worked at Brown Distributing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, free case of beer every other month, company vehicle as a sales rep (could take several years), hunting trips if you like slaughtering deer, and a good place to observe a train wreck on occasion. Average 401k plan and good health insurance. Some really good people just lost and stuck in the current regime.

Cons

Lack of direction, cronyism, average pay, below average bonus structure, must work a decade to get a third week of vacation, if you like working on holidays sign up here, micromanagement, glass ceiling, incompetence is openly accepted if not encouraged, company goals are ambiguous and contradictory. Too many Managers and not leaders. A title can be a dangerous weapon in the hands of an inexperienced user.
Training is limited.

Allow the younger core to collaborate with senior management to right the ship from sinking. The problems are clear but are never addressed or blatantly ignored. It really is a sad state; however a renewed passion and desire to remove the issues could make a significant difference. Cross-training and monthly panel discussions on the state of the market and company could prove to be very successful. Your were a great company, fix the glaring problems, remove certain individuals who have no business being in management roles. Too many individuals as managers but not leaders. A title doesn't make you a leader or automatically garner respect. Treat your employees with respect and take a look in the mirror. The foundation is severely cracked but it can be rebuilt. Give your employees the tools to succeed and get out of the way. Avoid the same propaganda, it's antiquated and doesn't work. With all respect, best of luck. You can regain your spot as the top wholesaler in the Austin market.

5 Other Employee Reviews for Brown Distributing (View Most Recent)

Job security, but underwhelming pay and incompetent management...

Current Employee - Office Staff in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Office Staff in Austin, TX

I have been working at Brown Distributing

Pros

Job security is great -- unless you're an absolute dope you're not going to get fired.
    Pay is ok, but benefits are great. 401k, medical, dental, etc are top notch.

Cons

Because you have to be a idiot to get fired, LOTS of management/supervisors (especially in the sales team) are grossly unqualified for their jobs. It's incredibly frustrating watching the goons scratch their heads why sales are down... maybe it's because you have managed to staff your entire sales department with people who don't know how to sell anything?

Lots of redundant management... must be 20 sales 'managers' consisting of people who have done nothing more than stick around for 5+ years.

Open your eyes and really look at who you're hiring and promoting internally. Just because so-and-so says they're great, doesn't mean they are. Next thing you know your whole sales force (who are the lifeblood of the company) is made up of people that one guy thinks are great, but everyone else knows are awful.

Hard work but a good job

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Brown Distributing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation, weekends off, benefits, amazing co-workers, real people who genuinely care

Cons

long hours, you better love driving...

I have always wanted to work for a company where I am more than just a number, and that is how I feel at Brown. Upper management is really great, and I can talk to them like they are real people. Their open door policy is truly that, which I appreciate. Tracey in HR is a peach, and I have enjoyed everyone I have worked with so far. Their training program is unique in that they have you train in every aspect of the company. I love working here. I hate driving, but I love my job. You cannot be shy and work here. Any sales job is about fostering relationships.

There are newer employer reviews for Brown Distributing