There are newer employer reviews for Brown Shoe

Don't complain to Corporate!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Tulsa, OK
Former Employee - Store Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overall the job wasn't too hard, can get some rewards/bonuses for pushing hard during competitions. Get paid holidays that you actually can take - only have to work 32 hrs the week of a holiday. Work only 40 hrs/wk so not required to work overtime.

Cons

Depending on the District Mgr you get, you can have some problems with way too much drama. There was a lot of backstabbing and retaliation. Also, associates and asst mgrs were able to call the DM to complain about the Store Mgr breaking the chain of command and making the drama a continual mess. There was a lot of theft by employees and even a drunk on the job and DM didn't seem to mind those issues, but continually looked for ways to undermine the Store Mgr. Another Store Mgr in our area wanted to advance to Corporate after finishing their degree and the same DM would not submit their name for a job with Corporate forcing the person to quit to seek advancement.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to complaints from your Store Mgrs instead of firing them for coming forward when unethical activities take place due to unethical District Mgrs.

reviews filtered by
  1. Awesome Place

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Brown Shoe part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I think it depends on the store manager whether you had a good experience, but I had an awesome manager.
    Good Discount 30% on any shoe including clearance.
    Awesome coworkers
    Clean Store I worked in.
    Awesome customers
    My manager was flexible with my schedule.
    Great opportunites to advance.

Cons

Were more focused on selling accessories than shoes.
    Some of the stores located in the mall are ridiculous.
    Some assistant managers were so lazy.

Advice to Management

Focus on selling shoes and don't stress the sales of accessories.

Great place to start or end a career... Not so much for the part in the middle.

Current Employee - Retail Planner in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Retail Planner in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Brown Shoe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly environment. Fun product. Opportunities to work in both the wholesale and retail sectors.

Cons

This is a great place to start your career because the tolerant culture creates a safe learning environment, but there is a tendency to transfer under-performing employees to other departments rather than making the difficult decision to let them go. As a result, it is difficult to progress beyond the managerial level because there are limited opportunities/openings. If you want to climb a ladder, look elsewhere.

There are newer employer reviews for Brown Shoe