Buccaneer Computer

There are newer employer reviews for Buccaneer Computer

Great place to work

Former Employee - Network Technician in Warrenton, VA
Former Employee - Network Technician in Warrenton, VA

I worked at Buccaneer Computer full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No micro-management, Friendly work place, co-workers go out of their way to help

Cons

didn't really see any growing potential to another position

7 Other Employee Reviews for Buccaneer Computer (View Most Recent)

Minimum 8 hour for salary employees

Current Employee - V&V Test Specialist in Warrenton, VA
    Current Employee - V&V Test Specialist in Warrenton, VA

I have been working at Buccaneer Computer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual dress work environment, great pay, excellent benefits except for sick time (6 days a year).

Cons

Nepotism hiring practices. Good ole boy club. It's not what you know, but who you know that counts. Company has went through 2 mergers in a year. Hard work is rewarded with more work and minimal to no increase in pay or title. You are required to put in a minimum of 8 hours a day, but expected to put in more than 40 a week. There is no comp time. If you work 20 hours in 2 days, you still have to put in 8 on the 3rd, 4th and 5th day. If you take a day off, they expect you to make it up, instead of using your vacation or sick time.

Their is no coordination, people are stubbling and stepping all over each other. There is no respect between managers. Most are know it alls, even when they don't know.

Internal teams throw other internal teams under the bus. CYA, save everything, never know when you will need proof.

Quit hiring your friends, relatives,church and support group buddies. Your employees are to scared to tell you that your friends, relatives, church and support buddies usually have no idea what they are doing! Don't tell your employees that you are concerned about their work load or their unhappiness on the job. We know you don't care and it adds to our frustration, when you do nothing in response to our concerns.

Your employees names are not honey, baby, sweetie or love. Please address your employees in a professional manner.

Please do not threaten to break employees finger, in order to motivate them to complete their tasks.
    Quit showing favortism to employees that are your buddies. Your buddies are lieing to you and making up work, that they are not doing.

Quit letting your buddies work from home, while you tell everyone else, working from home in not allowed.

Please don't reward your employee by telling them how much you love them, after they complete a difficult task. Our relationship is only professional, and we complete tasks because they were assigned, not because we think you are special.

Sometimes employees need to express some 'not so nice things', so quit being a hopeless optimist, suck it up and attempt to fix it. Quit wagging your finger at your employees, like they are children and making comments like 'I am so dissappointed in you'. Your disappointment is a personal opinion. If we are following policies and procedures, then there is nothing to be disappointed about. Quit thinking every e-mail has a negative tone, it we do not use smiley faces in our correspondence :) okay. We have worked in a few companies and have had many managers, but never a manager like that, until now.

Pirate's Life for me

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Warrenton, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Warrenton, VA

I have been working at Buccaneer Computer

Pros

Buccaneer has top notch benefits...100% premium payed on health care for individuals and families. Fun culture, family friendly. A strong focus on employee morale. Overall great company to work for, highly recommended. They keep soda's priced at .25 cents. Team environment and plenty of great folks to work with.

Cons

It is easy to become pigeonholed in a role.

Mid tier management needs to work on employee development and allow employees to rotate in and out of different teams. I find that it is interesting that the best engineers don't always get promoted because managers don't want to let them go.

There are newer employer reviews for Buccaneer Computer