There are newer employer reviews for Buck Consultants

Decent Hours, nice people, awful raises

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Buck Consultants

Pros

My coworkers were friendly. Feedback was relatively encouraged. I rarely had to work past 6 or 7. My boss was great and I learned useful skills

Cons

Though my starting salary was decent, raises were abysmal. The only way to get a decent a raise at Buck is to get a counter offer and even then it's tricky. Buck has struggled in recent years. It's a declining company in a declining industry (defined benefits). My bonus for outperformance was 5% of salary, not much incentive.

If you would like to retain talented individuals invest in them a bit more. The work life balance is nice but those who work hard for the company and outperform need to be given bigger raises and bonuses or else it doesn't seem worth it

reviews filtered by
  1. Good place for mid-career consultants

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Buck Consultants

Pros

Lots of flexibility
    Creative opportunities for commuicators

Cons

Lack of leadership support
    Not a lot of cohesion among lines of business

Great Flexible Working Environment but that's about it - Going downhill

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at Buck Consultants

Pros

Good benefits, very flexible working arrangement with the possibility of telecommuting. The environment is still not one of a big corporation, but rather a relaxed environment which reduces the level of stress one can encounter in Corporate America

Cons

Buck Consultants used to be the envy of the industry in terms of its client base, its reputation and its people. That was when Buck was a privately own company. then Mellon Financial Corporation acquired the firm and that's when it began to go downhill. We now had to report to a publicly traded company with all of the cost-cutting measures that come with it. Pay Increases and bonuses became smaller and less impacted by personal performance. Then, Mellon sold the firm to ACS (Affiliated Computer Services) and that's when we started to really go down. Lack of direction, poor management communication and OFF-SHORE, OFF-SHORE, OFF-SHORE, Hiring Freezes, bonus freeze, Furlows, no merit increases and no more distinction between high and low performers. ACS sets impossible financial expectation for the firm which is a way to cut merit increases and bonuses. Finally, the company is now owned by XEROX which means that Buck Consultants's Parent Company (ACS) has also a parent company. A real nightmare...

Sell the company to an HR consulting firm or to a private equity firm. No more parent companies that do not understand our business and set higher expectation each year so that we can never meet them. Something must be done before it's too late.

There are newer employer reviews for Buck Consultants