Worked for Buffalo Exchange in the 80's

Former Employee - Store Manager in Berkeley, CA
Former Employee - Store Manager in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Buffalo Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was a Store Manager for Buffalo Exchange in Tucson and Berkeley in the mid-80's. I LOVED working there and had it not been for the incredible education and experience that I received from managing a store, I would not have gone back to school to earn a master's in accounting.

Cons

Long hours and not very good pay at the time....but I was young and knew I would have to put in the time to eventually gain enough experience to take my career further.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you have been doing for the last 40 years because Buffalo Exchange is awesome! I now have a 20 year old in SF who shops there all the time!

Other Employee Reviews for Buffalo Exchange

Chaotic Management

Former Employee - Buyer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Buyer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Buffalo Exchange part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros are that you are very involved with what the inventory of your store looks like. There is a good discount on clothes and you get a lot of deals just by working there.

Cons

Many of the managers here should NOT be managing any kind of store. There is no communication whatsoever. One of my managers even told employees and customers that she had a mental disorder and was not taking her medication. They do not train properly or completely. They will tell you they are going to begin training on a certain day then forget about it until months later. Terrible work environment.

Advice to Management

Get organized, get your life together, and be able to communicate or else JUST QUIT and save all your employees the trouble and stress.

2. Family company becoming more and more Corporate.

Former Employee - Independent Buyer in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Independent Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Buffalo Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getting first dibs on Clothing. Making great friendships with fellow employees and die-hard customers. Monthly bonuses if you work at the higher-volume stores.

Cons

Difficult to have a life outside of the store - they ask every thing of you - even at low paying positions. Low pay especially when other local buy/sell/trades pay much more in the area. Favoritism rewards new positions instead of hard-work. If you don't always have a big personality you will be talked to constantly about it.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your management if you notice a high volume of turnover of long-term employees there may be something to it.