Buffalo Lodging Associates

www.buffalolodgingassoc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Buffalo Lodging Associates

Used to be great

I worked at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay and benefits, takes care of the hotels

Cons

Senior management needs to take a step back into the hotels to anaylyze what is expected of the hotel management staff. They will find what looks good in theory doesnt work and isnt working in the field. Managers are dismissed as non compiant if they try to voice this.

Listen to these reviews, you could be a great company again. You have allowed yourselves to be too close minded and stale.

10 Other Employee Reviews for Buffalo Lodging Associates (View Most Recent)

They reward your hard work, time, energy and years of service by firing you.

Former Employee - Front Office Manager  in  Ellenton, FL
    Former Employee - Front Office Manager in Ellenton, FL

I worked at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There really aren't any. The median pay is WAY lower than other hotel companies. The benefits are almost non-existant and there is very little in the way of recognition from both hotel level and upper management level.

Cons

Want a lunch break? Too bad. If you work in management or at the Front Desk you will almost never receive a lunch break. Want sick time? Too bad. You get 40 hours of PTO after one year with the company. This time is used for everything: sick days, vacation, etc. At the time I left the company they were considering the idea of sick time so this may have changed but I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't. Need to call in sick? Ha! I can't tell you how many times I worked sick because the schedules and staff are stretched so thin as to allow no room for devation from the printed schedule. Want to be promoted? Well you better be willing to perform the promotion position for your current salary and alongside your current responsibilities before they even CONSIDER giving it to you. And you had better be on the "good side" of upper management or you will get no where as they approve all promotions. How about recognition? Don't bother. Hotel managers are pressured (sometimes with their jobs on the line) on a daily basis to "bring up scores" which in turn makes the working atmosphere stressful and negative. Have a creative idea? They'll pat you on the back and then laugh about it amongst themselves.

I watched a valued employee fired without management even telling them. They were just taken off the schedule. I've seen hotel managers fill out online surveys to pad their scores. Even make reservations under their family's names in hopes of receiving surveys. Many of my General Managers made it a habit to talk about employees behind their back. Even the Human Resources department routinely repeats confidential information to persons involved in complaints/issues. At one point I sought out HR to ask advice about a possible sexual harrassment claim involving one of my employees and the HR manager went straight to the other person involved! I've never in my life heard of something like that. Couldn't believe it happened.

Learn to respect your employees. They have opinions and feelings and most of them work very hard for very little recognition/reward. Listen to them. Don't take everything GMs say as 100% truth just because you know them better. Turnover will continue to skyrocket until you realize that we deserve to be treated well and have our voices heard. Respect confidentiality. Allow people to make mistakes and to learn and grow with the company.

Awful Company

Current Employee - Guest Service Agent & Sales Coordinator
    Current Employee - Guest Service Agent & Sales Coordinator

I have been working at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no pros to working for BLA to be honest. If you are a full time employee, you get regular benefits after working for BLA for 90 days, such as health insurance and holiday pay. However, you can get those benefits at many other places of employment as well. After working with BLA for a year, you will receive one week vacation and can enroll in the 401K plan if you are eligible (age requirements, etc).

Cons

Everything. As another reviewer pointed out, upon your initial interview you will be told that there is plenty of room for growth with the company and that they love to hire from within. Don't be fooled. Although there are ALWAYS jobs opening up because the turnover rate is so high, they very rarely promote from within -- even when the current employees are more than qualified. Management is a joke. They are constantly passing off tasks to hourly associates just because they don't feel like doing it themselves. BLA hires unfit managers (some with NO degree, not even a high school diploma) and then fail to do anything about it when associates bring the lack of management skills to their attention. HR does nothing to try to rectify situations and will leave employees feeling helpless.

Listen to your employees. They see what goes on at the properties on a day to day basis and their concerns and advice should be taken seriously. When you have hourly employees who care more about the property than property management does, there's a problem and it should be addressed.

There are newer employer reviews for Buffalo Lodging Associates

Worked for Buffalo Lodging Associates? Contribute to the Community!