Build-A-Bear

www.buildabear.com

A fun place to work!

Former Employee - Bear Builder  in  Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Bear Builder in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I definitely had a positive experience at BABW. The management I worked with was fantastic, and my fellow Bear Builders were great as well. You couldn't leave that place in a bad mood.

Cons

The communication between management and the general employees was not the best. We weren't informed in a lot of time when we would be having specials and sales so we could inform customers ahead of time. Because of a training error my a manager who was later fired, my register privileges were revoked and I lost the opportunity for a pay raise because of that.

Other reviews for Build-A-Bear

Look deeper than the Top 100 Places to Work awards - it's not as "warm and fuzzy" as they make it out to be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

- Casual work environment and dress code
    - Can bring your dogs to work
    - Good employee discount (30% most of the year, and 50% twice a year)
    - Some of the charitable things they do make you proud to work for the company
    - It looks good on a resume, because other company's know that to work at BAB you have to be an extremely hard worker

Cons

- No work/life balance. All of the executives work 60-70 hours a week, and they expect you to as well. That is fine if you are making $500,000/year like they are, or if they rewarded employees for hard work. But non-management staff is paid very poorly, and it is almost impossible to get an adequate raise.
    - VERY high turnover rates due to this fact, leading employees to quickly get burnt out. This makes job continuity impossible. Some departments have had 50-60% turnover rates the last few years, but because the manager of those departments is considered a "favorite", nothing is ever done and the departments just end up being revolving doors.
    - There is no communication between management and non-management staff. Employees often find out about major company events and plans through press releases. It makes it extremely hard to get behind company initiatives when you do not know what they are.
    - Upper-level management has been entrenched and surrounded with "yes-people" for so long that there are no checks and balances within the company. This is concerning because every executive has been with the company since it began, so there no one in a leadership position that has been in the outside business world in the last 15 years.
    - Morale at headquarters is much lower than the Best Places to Work awards would indicate. Most of the votes for this award come from the store level, not from HQ. If you look closely at that list, BAB does not offer the majority of the benefits that the other companies do.
    - It often seems extremely random how the company chooses to spend their money, and their seems to be no rhyme or reason to most of it. One minute they are eliminating positions or not replacing employees, and the next they are giving millions of dollars to consulting company's that don't end up providing any benefit to the company after they are gone. I used to work on some projects with the IT department, and it is honestly scary how short staffed they are, and how few people they have trying to keep the critical computer systems up and running.

- Reward employees that work hard for you and have helped you get to the position that you are in
    - Take the time to get to know your employees and what they are working on. This would help substantially in lowering the turnover rate. In addition to being extremely under paid, one of the main reasons I left was because I felt my bosses had no interest in me or helping me grow as an employee
    - Communicate with your employees and involve them in the decision making process, especially if it is something that is going to directly affect them

Even though it didn't work for me, I would still consider BAB an ok company that could be saved. But it is going to require a major change of attitude from the top down.

Fair

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Good atmosphere, great discount, friendly people to work with

Cons

Not much mobility within company, hire mostly externally since the company is so small

There are newer employer reviews for Build-A-Bear.

Worked for Build-A-Bear? Contribute to the Community!