There are newer employer reviews for Build-A-Bear

Working there was a lot of fun

Former Employee - Associate Workshop Manager
Former Employee - Associate Workshop Manager

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had a good time there. They really do have fun like they say, you just have to choose to have fun right along with them. They are a Fortune 100 company and really deserve the right to be there. They have benefits for part time employees, you get your birthday off and you get paid for it, plus they celebrate 5 holidays a year with a days pay for the manager and time and a half for everyone.

Cons

Its not a great place to get consistent hours. You could be working anywhere from 10-30 if you are a part-time associate. Only General, store and assistant managers get 40 hours a week. It's very possible to get burned out especially if you've been there a while.

Advice to Management

Give more hours to the stores!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Not Warm and Fuzzy

Former Employee - Bear Builder
    Former Employee - Bear Builder

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Has the potential to be a great place to work.
    - Get to have fun and be silly with the customers.
    - Get paid on your Birthday without coming to work!

Cons

In a word: the management. It's possible that other Build-A-Bear locations are awesome but the head-manager at the place that I worked made the atmosphere nearly unbearable. She has unrealistic expectations and becomes furious when they aren't met, which is most of the time. I'm a straight-A college student, a hard-worker, and I would still be reprimanded on a daily basis. The drive to push sound sales and to force people to sign up for our rewards program became a huge source of stress. The store has had to hire a new set of bear-builders at least once every year because of how many people can't stand the negative atmosphere anymore and quit.
    Other minor cons include being "On-call" for shifts and having to push products such as sounds/heartbeats that don't work well. Also, large flagship stores have to deal with unavoidable long lines during the holidays and as a result, aggravated customers.

Advice to Management

When a store is constantly hiring new bear-builders to replace the ones that have quit, there is something wrong. Unless it is lucrative to hire and train new workers often, you may want to look into the root of the problem.

2. Great place to work

I worked at Build-A-Bear full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture, great partnership. Product is awesome, feels good to work for a company that is also a good citizen.

Cons

The company is no longer growing.