Bulletin Intelligence

www.bulletinintelligence.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Bulletin Intelligence

Serious work for serious clients.

Current Employee - Editor and News Analyst in Reston, VA
Current Employee - Editor and News Analyst in Reston, VA

I have been working at Bulletin Intelligence full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Challenging work, but rewarding. I read another review on this site and the person who wrote it used to sit near me and I know the circumstances of their departure. Almost nothing in the review is accurate, but rather than dispute it line by line, my advice is to totally ignore it. Frankly, people here seem to have been here for a long time and like it, which tells me a lot more than one disgruntled employee. It's not like recess in kindergarten here, but I like the people and really enjoy the work I do. Not perfect, but a lot better than other places I've worked.

Cons

Some wonky introverts, but not too many. Quarterly reviews could be better with more focus on what an employee needs to do to move up.

Advice to Management

More office parties!

reviews filtered by

Only work here if you are desperate for employment.

Former Employee - Editor and News Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Editor and News Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Bulletin Intelligence full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's hard to come up with positive aspects of this job. In theory, there's the ability to work remotely, but you often have to push really hard (The CEO gets involved... one would think he should be worrying about bigger issues) to get it approved if you want to remain in the DC area. Most of the editorial management is really approachable and they have some cool content-creating technology. The work environment is so abysmal, though, that perhaps the greatest aspect of Bulletin News is the fact that a certain camaraderie develops among the night editors; it's nice to know that you're not the only one suffering.

Oh, if you work onsite, they provide free coffee and soda.

Cons

For the editorial team:
    -Night-shift
    -CEO is too involved in minor issues (resists requests to work remotely, is overly concerned with people showing up on time... which can be impossible sometimes given all the night-time road closures due to construction in the area)
    -Monotonous work
    -No clear path for advancement (and the advancement opportunities that do exist, such as becoming an Associate Managing Editor or Senior Editor kinda suck... not much more pay for a lot more work)
    -Opaque salary scale (basically based on what you make at your current employer... you could lie, they don't check)
    -Worst benefits I've encountered. Ever. The health care offered is fine, but I don't know of any place in the DC area that doesn't offer a full buffet of benefits, such as dental, vision, tuition reimbursement, FSA, transit benefits, etc.
    -It's way too hard to take time off.
    -Paid time off is ridiculous. It sounds great at first - 22 paid days off a year. But then you realize you have to take all holiday as PTO, so if you have a govt. client or one that observes all federal holidays, that means you're already forced to take 11 days off from your PTO bank. That leaves you with two weeks, one day. It's absurd.
    -You're under such tight daily deadlines, no one talks during the night. It's eerily quiet. The decor is depressing. The physical environment just zaps you of any passion. You sit in your cube, read/write all night, and just have a cup of coffee and your music to keep you company. You sometimes feel like you can't use the bathroom.
    -All mistakes are ultimately blamed on the editor. There's a dreaded "error list" that the client managers constantly compile that's used against you when it's time for your quarterly review. It's a known fact that some upper editorial management never appear in the error list, even though they produce content for clients that contains mistakes.
    -Low morale. Everyone hates it. Everyone. I'm not being hyperbolic when I say this: almost everyone on the night staff is contemplating leaving. It's that bad.

Advice to Management

Develop more transparent policies. Offer real career advancement opportunities. The CEO needs to worry about the big picture and not the little stuff now that the company has grown to more than 100 employees. Basically, though, just trust your employees. We're all educated, savvy professionals. Don't initiate company-wide policies predicated on one person's mistake (it's like a middle-school gym teacher runs the place). Allow flexible work arrangements, such as remote work. Value your employees with better compensation and better benefits. Make it easier to take time off. Offer a yearly paid one-week sabbatical/vacation, no questions asked. Offer opportunities for collaboration between departments (such as editorial and sales or editorial and client management, etc). Boost morale (pay experts to come in, do something. It's horrible).

Professional work environment but little support for employees

Current Employee - News Editor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - News Editor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bulletin Intelligence full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work remotely, independent work environment

Cons

Little support for employees, difficult to take time off, night schedule

There are newer employer reviews for Bulletin Intelligence