Burlington Coat Factory

www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com
  www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com
There are newer employer reviews for Burlington Coat Factory

It's retail, which means you are subject to cuts whenever the economy slows.

Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier
Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

If you like retail and customer service, then it's okay. Hey, it's a job.

Cons

In a nutshell:
Burlington has done what many retailers have done, cut cut and cut. I started as full time and was working approx. 35 to 36 hours a week. The third year I was there they cut us down to part time if you were averaging under 7 1/2 hrs per day or 37 1/2 hrs per week. I have worked there for 5 1/2 years and still make only 17 cents more than minimum wage. My average hours have been cut repeatedly to where an average hour work day is approx. 5 hours. We work HARD for that money as cashiers, and whenever they cut the payroll, we work harder. All of us. Cashiers are the least appreciated, even though we are expected to be the FRONTLINE in customer service. Restructuring the workforce has meant that there are fewer people to help customers on the sales floor, fewer people to perform recovery, and less options for the employees. Most of us are considered part time, so benefits are negligible. I was lucky to be hired when I was, because I get some sick days, a couple of personal days, and vacation time, though they changed it from being available on your anniversary of hire date, to having to earn it throughout the year. Management is quick to applaud the ass-kissers, and ignore the steady hard workers. Many of us have had to find second or even third part time jobs in order to pay the bills. Not having open availability means you get even fewer hours, and if you are scheduled off and they call wanting you to come to work, you better go, because you will be threatened with lack of hours in the future. Other things that threaten your income are the store's losses, and our particular store suffers a lot of loss due to the location, lack of people on the floor, laughable loss prevention associates,( which have been pepper sprayed, punched, and had their tires slashed in the parking lot in broad daylight.) Besides that, they require that we get survey scores of 75% or higher, and they expect us to get all 5's out of scores of 1 - 5. We have even been told to tell our customers that we would like them to give us 5's because corporate doesn't accept anything less. In other words, we are asking for survey results that say we are perfect. Guess that doesn't leave any room for improvement.

Please go back to zip codes instead of phone numbers, and don't say it's optional to give a phone number and then tell the cashiers they must get 85% of them. Please quit trying to make us all do the work of three people. Please appreciate the people that you have, and quit hiring useless teenagers that don't want to work and carry their phone around in their pocket or stand around chatting. Please tell your managers that they should not make comments about employees that don't come in (ON CALL) when they are not scheduled, we have a life outside of Burlington and we are not paid to be ON CALL. Please stop telling us that we must ASK for 5's on a survey, and make our raises dependent on the scores we get. We are all doing our best (or at least get rid of the ones that aren't). Please stop selling the URBAN clothing that caters directly to the thieves, and then blame us for the losses. Please don't dangle new store locations, or upgrades that will never materialize. Please appreciate the HARD work of the cashiers. You try standing for 7 hours with a 1/2 hour lunch and a 15 minute break, when it's one customer after another with cartloads of merchandise and see how hard it is.

532 Other Employee Reviews for Burlington Coat Factory (View Most Recent)

There are newer employer reviews for Burlington Coat Factory