Never have been happier, stressed, but actually enjoy my job

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Store Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

corporate doesn't always seem to take our jobs seriously and rams things down out throats without consieration to all of the basic tasks we need to do, including the important ones like taking care of customers and getting sales. Our RVP helps us negotiate that and work around the stressors, but he seems stressed trying to help us. I have close to ten years here and have never really enjoyed my job like I do today. We were given someone new and he cares about family, us and always treats us with respect. My HR told me about this site and I red horror stories on here and wanted to share one where its not all bad.

Cons

Their is too much direction from all over, weather its regional team or corporate. We have learned to get better at our last voice mtg, but its still a struggled. Corporate consistently is trying to better things, but doesn't realize the workload theyre adding.

I consider upper management to be corporate. To be clear. Think about what impact your causing to us. Have a store commitee to help senior leaders understand what we go through before just adding more layers or work and tasks.

Other Reviews for Burlington Coat Factory

Unsung veteran

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burlington Township, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington Township, NJ

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory full-time

Pros

1) Flexible work hours, depending on which department you work in.
    2) Convenient location, easily accessible to major highways, and free parking.
    3) Casual dress code.

Cons

1) Some employees are not given a chance to move up no matter what. Hard work rarely gets noticed or appreciated. Favoritism.
    2) No holiday bonus. All you get is a $25 or $30 gift card for the company.
    3) Most non-managerial positions are hourly and requires you to swipe the ID for time keeping several times a day.
    4) Weekly/Bi-weekly health insurance deduction is high and co-pays are high. Dental plans are cheap but don't cover much.
    5) Paid time off is accrued during the course of the year and cannot be carried over to to the next year.
    6) No minorities in the upper management. Less diversity.
    Conservative. Not lgbt-friendly.
    7) Work environment is like a prison. Very authoritarian bosses. There is a closed door culture, where the managers are always talking to each other behind closed doors for long periods of time, or whispering to each other in the hallways. They don't share any information with the associates even if it affects everyone.
    8) Most junior level employees do not consider working at Burlington as a real career. They are only using this experience as "something to put on the resume" and move on in a couple of years.

i dont have a title

Current Employee - Merchandise Manager  in  Chino, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Chino, CA

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for more than a year

Pros

flexibility, I enjoy merchandise the sales floor, friendly associates.

Cons

not enough payroll to run the store

High expectation with very little payroll support.

There are newer employer reviews for Burlington Coat Factory.

Worked for Burlington Coat Factory? Contribute to the Community!