Burns & McDonnell
www.burnsmcd.com Kansas City, MO 1000 to 5000 Employees

Great company, lousy benefits.

Houston, TX

ProsThis company, without a doubt, is the best engineering company I've ever worked at. Great people to work with. Responsible, courteous, dependable.

ESOP is OK. Not a huge selling point for those engineers who live in an area of the country where there are other employment options, such as Houston.

Cons5+ day work week: all our competitors and clients work some type of alternate work schedule. We work 5+ days a week.

Vacation time is minimal and accrual is sub par. You get one additional day of vacation after the 5th year. Not an extra week like other places. Also senior level folks hire in with the same amount of vacation as junior level.

"Blue" culture: How "blue" are you is the question used to gauge how willing you are to sacrifice everything for the benefit of the company and, since its employee owned, the benefit of your coworker's retirement account. This hard charging culture is a double edged sword. Its great that you really can count on people to work hard and come through, and you do the same. But consistently asking employees to go above and beyond has resulted in burnout.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeef up the vacation time and throw in every other Friday off and your recruiting woes will be forever solved.

Would not recommend to anyone I know

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

I worked at Burns & McDonnell full-time

Pros: ESOP program is nice if you stay long enough to benefit from it. Some interesting projects if you are in the… Cons: Cut-throat management system. Will never take responsibility or blame for anything and push it onto their employees. Managers know their power and will belittle you… Advice to Senior Management: Not even going to waste my time with this section. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Stuck in 1980's

Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell full-time for more than a year

Pros: Their are some great people at this company, but most of them are looking to… Cons: This place is absolutely stuck in the past. Seriously, NO FLEX TIME and required to work a 45+ work week. Vacation time is… Advice to Senior Management: MODERNIZATION. Let people wear jeans on friday's, flextime,… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Burns & McDonnell.

Worked for Burns & McDonnell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Burns & McDonnell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Burns & McDonnell CEO Greg M. Graves. All reviews posted anonymously by Burns & McDonnell employees.