Stay away from Project Controls and CDB

Former Employee - Project Controls in Kansas City, MO
Former Employee - Project Controls in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Burns & McDonnell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive compensation, most people are friendly, good benefits. There are plenty of afterwork activities that allows you to build relationships with your coworkers.

Cons

They need to do some house cleaning on management in CDB. Management does not listen to any input and the processes are out of date. If you have any ideas to stream line a process, then good luck because your idea will be shot down. Systems are out of date, and some management does not have integrity.

Advice to Management

If you plan on keeping talent, then go back to your roots. The new managment is poor at communication and they wont take responsibility for their roles. Invest in training rather than focusing on billable time. It will save the client money in the long run.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Best job I could ask for!

Current Employee - Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EMPLOYEE OWNERSHIP! There is a great atmosphere because of this. We are all about helping each other out and have a great culture. I am excited to come to work 99% of the time!
    Benefits are awesome all around.
    Even though what I'm doing is not what I "dreamt" to do when I got out of college, the people I work with and environment I work in make it SO worth it.

Cons

Nobody's perfect :) With how much growth there has been, especially recently, it's hard to manage. My department has almost doubled since I have started and it's tough to keep everything in line. So far, our new department manager has done a great job! Also, sometimes I see how much the people are consumed by their work if they've been here 5+ years and part of me is worried... will that be me someday?

Advice to Management

More PTO! And encouragement to take it. It's odd that the people that have been here longest have so much PTO that they never use and then the people that haven't been here very much never seem to have enough PTO.

2. Great Company

Former Intern - Engineering Intern
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern

I worked at Burns & McDonnell as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee-owned, which is very cool, even though it didn't benefit me much as an intern. The employee culture is great, everyone was very friendly and helpful. Pay was very good for an internship, and they're definitely looking to hire people for full-time work. They are also growing as a company, and I think they have a great future ahead of them.

Cons

As an intern, I spent a good bit of time just twiddling my thumbs, waiting for work to do. That's the only real complaint I have though. When I had work to do, I thought it was interesting.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on.