There are newer employer reviews for Burns & McDonnell

B & Mc has a fantastic employee-owned concept, that offers an opportunity for associates to become owners!

Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Kansas City, MO
Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Burns & McDonnell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Their employee-ownership format offers an opportunity for associates to become owners, and not just be "employees". The culture is truly one of doing what it takes to make YOUR business successful.

Cons

I don't know of any cons; I honestly enjoyed my time at Burns & McDonnell. They offer good career advancement, as well as other benefits through their employee-ownership program.

Advice to Management

Continue giving your employees the opportunity to become owners, through your employee-ownership program. That develops a sense of ownership and pride that goes a long way in today's "employee vs employer" market!

reviews filtered by

No fun culture and low pay

I worked at Burns & McDonnell full-time

Pros

There really were no pros. It was a job.

Cons

'No fun' culture. Work work work. Low salary. They try to sell their ESOP but that's only worthwhile if you plan to spend your entire career there. Very conservative company that's behind in the times.

2. Great growing company with great benefits.

Former Employee - Information Technology
    Former Employee - Information Technology

I worked at Burns & McDonnell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solid growth and stability, even through the recent economic downturn.
    100% 401k match.
    ESOP stock ownership. The privately held stock has consistently risen each year.
    Good bonus incentive program.
    Good working environment (break rooms, cubicles, bathrooms, lunchrooms, etc) Great office building with plans to build another office building next door.

Cons

I worked in IT. Engineers and project managers rule at Burns & McDonnell. IT acts as a servant, not a partner. Other support departments complain about similar issues.
    IT project timelines are often unrealistic causing you to work overtime.
    This is strictly IT related. Burns & McDonnell is predominantly an engineering project management company. I can't speak to that side of the business.

Advice to Management

Embrace IT as a partner to further business goals. IT has little input on how to reach business goals. They are simply assigned tasks to achieve, with no regard to the costs. I've seen some project budgets balloon out of control with no regard for return on investment or viability. Very wasteful spending with no accountability for ROI.

There are newer employer reviews for Burns & McDonnell