Burson-Marsteller

www.bm.com
There are newer employer reviews for Burson-Marsteller

Positive work environment overall

I worked at Burson-Marsteller

Pros

Very professional environment, but some departments are more professional than others. If you're good at what you do and the clients like you, you're promoted.

Cons

Can get lost in the shuffle. Challenging to position yourself to the executive management.

Encourage more inter-Practice communication.

138 Other Employee Reviews for Burson-Marsteller (View Most Recent)

If this is the Best and the Brightest, I would prefer the Worst and the Dumbest!

I worked at Burson-Marsteller

Pros

Fairly reasonable with the work-life balance. However, long work hours were expected and were "jokingly" ridiculed for leaving after a 9 hour work day.

Cons

Perfection is expected out of the gate. They brag about only employing the "best and the brightest" however I was told federal income tax was not taken out of my pay even after I filled out a 1040, but they said I did not. Inappropriate discussions were shared in a relatively small office. People were treated poorly by executives while they played favorites with others and made no secret of who they favored.

Learn to except new ideas, be willing to extend a helping hand and share information when asked and do not expect everyone to be a drone and work exactly the same as everyone else. Different backgrounds lend to different abilities. And if you have a "favorite" client executive DO NOT make sure everyone in the office knows it.

Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Burson-Marsteller

Pros

-Global network of resources
    Burson has offices around the world and it is easy to tap into an international network.
    -Global opportunities/ Easy to transfer between offices
    Burson allows its employees to transfer between offices nationally without a problem. There are limited opportunities to work abroad as well.
    -Big-name client accounts to work on
    In each practice there are several marquee name accounts. I think your resume stands out when you are able to list nationally-recognized clients.

Cons

-Very slow to promote
    Burson's promotion cycle (twice a year) is very confusing to navigate. There are annual reviews that, in the end, do not influence a promotion. Many staff complain that colleagues who started as the same time/level as them are now one or two levels above them due to circumstances beyond their control - i.e., more face time with a manager.
    -No mentorship or career assistance
    -Limited training opportunities
    -Lots of internal politics

Be more open and transparent with your team members. I hear the same complaints over and over - that promotions are given seemingly at random and unequally and that junior staff members don't know what is going on with senior management. This makes junior staff members unsure of the future plans/direction of their teams, their practice and the company as a whole.

There are newer employer reviews for Burson-Marsteller