There are newer employer reviews for Burson-Marsteller

Top-notch agency for a PR newbie or a seasoned PR pro, but so-so for those in between.

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Burson-Marsteller

Pros

The company is excellent in regards to global reach, name recognition, variety of opportunities within and between practices and teams, great leadership, recruiting great talent, benefits package is okay for a large agency, not making employees feel guilty for taking a holiday, and the review process is fair and straightforward.

Cons

Relatively low pay, no annual bonus, lack of transparency in promotions/raises/salaries, etc., reputation as large, slow-moving agency with equally established client base/no innovation, really bad retention, the PR for our company is -ironically- pretty bad for a PR firm, the same people keep getting the high-profile projects, not very active in PR world outside internal functions.

Advice to Management

Make it a priority to get everyone involved in new business instead of just the same people over and over again. You'd be surprised how people you never would have considered can shine and bring a lot to the table. Keep encouraging and follow-through with reasonable suggestions on improving the work culture and other subjects of employee feedback.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. He did not care about Burson-Marsteller. His only concern was Hillary Clinton's campaign.

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Burson-Marsteller

Pros

Burson-Marsteller offered greater compensation and benefits than I saw at other companies at my career level. They also offered several helpful professional development seminars.

Cons

If you weren't working 80 hours a week, you weren't a valued member of the team. Good work was never rewarded, but mistakes were quickly pointed out and harshly dealt with. I was sexually harassed by one of my managers, and the company covered up the incident and did nothing to the manager. If you were sick, they would not let you take off of work. In fact, they often didn't let you take scheduled vacations, even after your trip was paid for. Employee morale was extremely low about the direction of the company, and just when we thought it couldn't get any lower, they canceled the holiday party. Even when you asked your supervisors to give you proper feedback on your performance, they couldn't be bothered to take the time. In the 10 months I worked there, it was a revolving door.

Advice to Management

Because junior level employees are the backbone of many companies, public relations agencies included, I recommend you treat them with more respect. And, when employees come to you with a serious issue, such as sexual harassment, take their concerns seriously.

Great $ and opportunity if you're willing to spend the time and put in the hours.

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Burson-Marsteller

Pros

It's a place where you can move up quickly and be compensated well if you work hard and show tangible results, e.g., bring in new business, grow business, etc.

Cons

It's not a 40 hour a week job. I averaged at least 60-65+ hours and travelled quite a bit. With the exception of travel, junior people are expected to put in the hours if they want to be promoted as well.

If you want to be a mom and see your kids, this is not a place to work.

Advice to Management

Try to figure out a way to build in flexible hours for more senior women in the organization. There is no such thing as part-time in this organization regardless of what the company may say -- nor are they really open to it if you are a Director or above. You are expected to manage teams (in person), bring in new $$ and travel.