Solid Online Advertising Foundation

I have been working at Burst Media

Pros

I feel like I have learned lots in my time at Burst. This is my first job out of college and I definately have solid online advertising experience under my belt already. Burst is good at the nuts and bolts of online advertising and I think having that solid foundation will only serve me well in the future.

Cons

I wish the office were in Boston, where I live! Also, some of the systems and programs we use at Burst aren't the most intuitive to use sometimes.

Advice to Management

I would say that upper management should make sure employees get adequate training for they're jobs. And have refreshers over the course of the year so we can continue to get better and more efficient.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Suddenly, 1, 2 or 3 star reviews are now 4 and 5 stars.

Former Employee - Sales in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Burlington, MA

I worked at Burst Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One can only assume that the HR department has "seeded" these glowing reviews. I worked there...it isn't the "happy place" that the most recent reviewers make it out to be. It's sad that management feels they need to post false reviews to try and cover up the general dissatisfaction that exists here.

Cons

Dated technology but an attitude that "the rest of the world is wrong".

Advice to Management

Stop drinking the kool-aid and actually do something to improve your product.

Good experience in digital media at an established company.

I have been working at Burst Media full-time

Pros

Burst is the kind of place where if you want to get your hands on a variety of projects, you can. The company built itself as an display ad network/rep firm, but they have recently expanded into mobile, online video and social media. The company generally has a good reputation in the industry.

Burst also now operates a few of their own websites, which is new and different. It always feels like there is something to learn in this space, which is refreshing and sometimes challenging. But feeling challenged is better than being bored!

Also, Burst's parent company Blinkx is a publically traded company that is on very solid financial ground. They believe in Burst and for the most part have let us "do our thing" as experts in digital media.

Cons

Blinkx bought Burst over 2 years ago, and there have been transitional issues and changes in just about everything. Nothing unexpected with an acquisition; that's the nature of the beast. Now with Sandy Demitroff at the helm the dust seems to be settling.

Burst also needs to accurately asses employee workloads in some cases. It's important to be busy and work smart, but it's also important to set realistic expectations internally and externally. Being overworked can lead to mediocrity, indifference and burnout. And then talented people leave.

Advice to Management

Be open with employees about big-picture things like corporate changes and financial performance. Knock down the departmental silos that still exist. We are on the same team after all.

Have faith in the people that you bring on board. You didn't hire them to be micromanaged! Along the same lines, foster a healthy work environment. Consider investing in resources (staffing, technology, etc.) to alleviate issues mentioned above.

Finally, the renewed focus on promoting a positive and inclusive company culture is like a breath of fresh air. Be sure to continue your work in this area.