Burwell Industries

www.burwellindustries.com
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Burwell Industries

Dysfunctional is only the beginning

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The products are amazing and as an employee you are given great discounts.

Cons

Burwell is a sinking ship. They are constantly changing things - the building, people's roles, processes - all without any communication. It is not unusual to come to work and find you have a completely different job or they moved your department. They also have a ridiculously high turnover, especially in the sales department. In the time I have worked there I think they have turned over 80-90% of the employees. The number of employees who make it two years or longer I could count on one hand. They used to have what employees called "firing Fridays" because it was almost guaranteed they were going to fire someone on payday Fridays. Its also not unusual for them to write you up instead of giving you a review so they can justify not giving you a raise. The sales goals are not sustainable, the processes are laborious and they pay is not competitive. No one, including some managers will make a decision without running it by one of the owners for fear of repercussion. I'm talking about spending a $15 here or there. I think company could be amazing but the owners won't get out of their own way.

Advice to Management

They spent a ton of money with a consulting company to find out how to improve morale. Management should have listened. The employees talked about more flexible work hours, more competitive pay, room for growth and the ability to make their own decisions.

reviews filtered by

Disappointing

Former Employee - Account Executive in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Centennial, CO

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Burwell industries has some amazing products that I was very proud to stand behind, The designer and her team have a wonderful amount of creativity that surrounded all of the products! Great company to start with to get a wide array of experience. I was involved with the customer service team, designated to manage PR, traveled as sales, helped in the warehouse among many other duties.

Cons

With the great experience, management would load your plate and make you take more on without matching pay. After completing a unreachable task, they would pile on more tasks.

As a ambitious individual, I felt that management held the employees back from ever progressing their career with Burwell. The company was ran by the designers mother. I was very excited to start my career with Burwell due to it being a family owned company, but was disappointed after starting since the company morale was so negative. Employees are treated like students of a catholic boarding school. Hard work, staying after to help during rushes and etc merits nothing. We did receive special coupons to use towards company product after beating a quota or meeting/reaching goals. However the incentives never included progression.

I remember volunteering to stay after to help put stickers on product before the product had to be rush shipped. There was no talking allowed, no looking around and the music was turned off after an employee started singing along.

I came up with an idea after going to a gift trade show and presented the idea to my manager, (the mother) The idea was based off some mints that had a mirror. My idea was to create a kit with lipstick or lip gloss in a detailed creative labeling design, mints included and a mirror included on the lipstick or mints. I was told that my idea wasn't a great one since the company wasn't involved in making cosmetics. After a few months, the company introduced Kiss Me Kits. I never received any recognition for this idea.

Employees are forced to sign papers that are not relevant to circumstances. An employee had her grandmother pass away in the beginning of her tenure with Burwell, after a few months her great grandmother passed away. The same employee had started physical therapy at 7:30AM - 8:30AM twice a week. The company hours were 9-5. The company decided to change the hours to 8:30am and wouldn't allow the employee to continue her therapy if the session wasn't during her 30 minute lunch or after company hours. Kaiser didn't offer anything during those times, so the employee reduced her PT to only once a week. The manager wouldn't allow the flexibility for the employee to continue PT even once a week. This employee was forced to sign a paper stating that the funeral of her grandmother, great grandmother, a snow day and physical therapy tardiness weren't excused. If the employee didn't sign the paperwork she would be terminated. If the employee was late or called in sick one more time, she would be terminated.

Advice to Management

Look into employee engagement, training for ambitious individuals and treat your employees as assets. Your turn over will reduce once you focus on hiring assets and creating a positive morale within the office.

Another case of the Burwell Blues

Former Employee - Accounting in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Accounting in Centennial, CO

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to work as a stepping stone job. The owners and CFO of this company are good people. Benefits are ok, not the best but better than nothing. You might be able to work your way into a better position if management doesn't hold you back.

Cons

Unfortunately you will be overworked and underpaid. They offer only one evaluation after a year, (if they actually get to it because management is too busy) and then they might give you a pay raise of $1.00. Street parking only - very little spots to park and get ready to have your car dinged and scratched. Constant revolving door of employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with some respect and show some appreciation for their work efforts. Just be nice! Everyone at this company is working hard and they are underpaid. You blame your employees and turn them against each other. Had a manager scream in my face and spray me with her spit because she didn't understand why I put a formula in my spreadsheet.