Burwell Industries

www.burwellindustries.com
  www.burwellindustries.com
There are newer employer reviews for Burwell Industries

Dysfunctional is only the beginning

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time for more than a year

Pros

The products are amazing and as an employee you are given great discounts.

Cons

Burwell is a sinking ship. They are constantly changing things - the building, people's roles, processes - all without any communication. It is not unusual to come to work and find you have a completely different job or they moved your department. They also have a ridiculously high turnover, especially in the sales department. In the time I have worked there I think they have turned over 80-90% of the employees. The number of employees who make it two years or longer I could count on one hand. They used to have what employees called "firing Fridays" because it was almost guaranteed they were going to fire someone on payday Fridays. Its also not unusual for them to write you up instead of giving you a review so they can justify not giving you a raise. The sales goals are not sustainable, the processes are laborious and they pay is not competitive. No one, including some managers will make a decision without running it by one of the owners for fear of repercussion. I'm talking about spending a $15 here or there. I think company could be amazing but the owners won't get out of their own way.

They spent a ton of money with a consulting company to find out how to improve morale. Management should have listened. The employees talked about more flexible work hours, more competitive pay, room for growth and the ability to make their own decisions.

7 Other Employee Reviews for Burwell Industries (View Most Recent)

An awful place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Centennial, CO

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The one and only pro of working here was getting cool products at a "discounted" price.

Cons

This is the absolute worst company I have ever worked for. From the day I walked in for my first day I was subject to threatening behavior by my superiors. The first two months I worked there, someone got fired every single payday Friday, hence the "firing Friday's" I have seen in previous posts.

The owners has absolutely no idea how to run a company. They will start projects and never finish them. I have seen this happen numerous times. Management has no idea what their Employees actually do or need to do to get work done, yet are micro managed down to every single piece of paper on their desk. Some are asked once an hour what they are working on, even after they are told by the same manager what to work on.

The extent of harassment, threatening, bullying, manipulation, and vindictive behavior that goes on is incredibly mind blowing. Almost to the point of being illegal. The management will twist words to get employees fired or written up, and upper management never questions a word.

The percentage of turnover is off the charts. 75-80% at one point. Everything in this company is very hush hush, and there is no such thing as communication. Even if you're in the need to know, you will not know.

There are some employees that get yelled at, threatened, spoken to in a very condescending way, or just straight up ignored on a daily basis. There is absolutely NO loyalty in this company. I have seen employees who have worked for the company many years and have brought so much good to the company get kicked to the curb without a second thought.

I have also seen numerous employees fired for standing up for themself after being mistreated, or disagreeing with ANYTHING that happens there. This has happened too many times for me to count. You are basically expected to be a mindless robot. Worked to death, not allowed to talk, not allowed to eat, or have any feeling or emotions at all.

I could go on about the utter mistreatment of employees here. Simply put, do not waste your time in this company. You will go no where and will be treated horribly.

Listen to your employees. I think this would fix a multitude of the problems.

Do Not Work Here

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time

Pros

The products are great and as an employee you get great discounts. If you are in sales you get to travel the country and work trade shows. Margot Wells, the owner, is a creative genius and really knows her customer and has developed highly desirable products.

Cons

Company values: This is by far the most dysfunctional place I have ever worked. Never in my life have I worked in such a toxic environment where psychological warfare is at an all time high. The upper management has no real experience in corporate selling and is ultimately leading the company down a hole. This is the type of company where the more you kiss butt and brown-nose the higher up you will get. I have run into many of my former colleagues and not one of them would return for all of the money in the world.

Regarding compensation, you are given a base salary with no commission. Just spiffs here and there that really don't amount to anything.

Time off is only accrued 1.29 hours every pay period. This means that you have to work for 4 months before you have earned 1 day off.

There are newer employer reviews for Burwell Industries

Worked for Burwell Industries? Contribute to the Community!