don't work here

I have been working at Business Wire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You don't have to take your work home with you.

Cons

Management treats employees like children. The level of pay is low, yet the level of responsibility and dedication that is expected is extremely high. There is no incentive to do more than the minimum required, and there are few if any opportunities for advancement. I don't believe I have ever worked for a company that has a lower level of morale than this place.

Advice to Management

Upper management should take some time to walk the floor and get to know the people who work for them. It is not hard to get a measure of how low morale is by doing this, and it wouldn't take a lot of heavy lifting to improve things, even if only a bit.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Look at all the reviews....this place is misery on earth

Former Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Business Wire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like running press releases through a system that formats into wire friendly format over and over again for horrible pay, that's a positive. Oh, and even though they hire you as an "editor", none of us read any of the releases. One of the biggest lies that senior management will claim is a valued differentiator of our business is that we actually read and edit the press releases. Somebody start anonymously polling editors at this company and all of them will agree we are simply doing monkey work in a cubicle.

Cons

Low pay, micromanaged by imbeciles, mindless work, sales people are arrogant and don't do jack themselves, everybody sits and complains because its the worst company ever.

Advice to Management

The press release business is a dying business, bad investment Warren Buffett. Huge margins but company will go the way of blockbuster and tape cassettes soon.

Only come here if you're desperate for a job.

Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Business Wire

Pros

-Excellent benefits: 401(k), medical, dental and vision reimbursements. Also reimbursements for fitness, education and commuting.
    -Very stable job security. Only a few layoffs (less than 5 that I'm aware of) in the 50-year history of the company.
    -Salary is higher than most other editorial jobs at this level.

Cons

I posted my original review last year and gave BW a 3 out 5. Since then, I've become more dissatisfied and after reading some other reviews on this page, felt like giving an update.

-For the most part, the work is tedious and boring. It can be exciting to work with big news announcements, and you do get the occasional adrenaline rush from working under deadline. But usually, you're just doing a modified form of data entry.

-Upper management is completely clueless and condescending. They make zero effort in listening to the rank-and-file, yet expect us to hang on every word they have to say.

-Supervisors only care about impressing those above them, and not trying to earn and maintain the respect of their subordinates. Come to think of it, this attitude permeates Business Wire at all levels. This is also true among editors, who will stab their fellow colleagues in the back if it will make themselves look better. Everyone is only looking out for themselves (there are a few exceptions, however, yet they are rare).

-The standards for new hires are non-existent. You'd think that at the minimum, they'd want people with some experience in writing, editing, communications, handling deadline pressure, etc. But they'll hire anyone regardless of experience and this introduces a learning curve that's steeper than it should be. This becomes a great hindrance when things get particularly hectic in the newsroom.

-It's almost impossible to get fired. While some may see this as a "pro," it actually means that many editors slack a lot and are widely incompetent, yet are still kept around for some reason. Those who try to put in an honest effort have to pick up the slack for others.

-Ridiculous time-off policies. During the quarterly earnings periods, editors aren't allowed to schedule any days off for vacation, etc. These periods last for 4-5 weeks, so that's a little over 1/3 of the year in total. Meanwhile, these periods aren't nearly as busy as management would have you believe. The New York office is the busiest in terms of volume, yet I only see minor upticks in the workload during earnings. I don't know if this is typical elsewhere. Maybe editors in other offices who read this can chime in with their opinions?

-Internet access is blocked except to certain finance news sites which we have to monitor as part of our duties. They think productivity will drop otherwise, yet everybody ELSE has the internet unblocked (including supervisors, management, account executives, customer service folks, basically everyone except editors). We do, however, have access to sites such as MTA.info, NJTransit.com, weather.com, and some others. But we can't check sports scores or anything like that.

-If we get sick and have to call out for the day, it gets noted in our annual reviews. They actually punish us for getting sick.

Advice to Management

Stop treating the editors like children and start giving credit where credit is due. Institute some way for editors to provide anonymous feedback to the higher levels.