Business.com (Dex One)

www.dexone.com
  www.dexone.com
There are newer employer reviews for Business.com (Dex One)

Was great, DexOne culture has ruined the place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Business.com (Dex One)

Pros

Nice office and fun people make work enjoyable. Lunch in office twice a week. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Nothing ever comes from your work! When it was a stand alone company, it moved fast and got projects done quickly and well. Now, the bulk of people's time (even engineers) is spent fighting with DexOne about why the Internet is an important place to invest and how Print Yellow Pages are dead.

I real don't know what to tell you at this point because I think it's too late. Anything you could do to isolate Business.com from it's parent so BDC could get back to work.

9 Other Employee Reviews for Business.com (Dex One) (View Most Recent)

Make over $100k at one of the best places to work in Los Angeles

Current Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Business.com (Dex One)

Pros

Money
    Ability to break into the Online Advertising space with no experience
    Excellent sales training
    Catered Lunches
    Casual Work Environment

Cons

Nobody knows who we are
    Lots of cold calls in the AE job
    Lots of prospect rejection

Give us a good solid direction for where the company is going and how our work contributes to that direction. Then we'll be really motivated.

Poor Leadership

I have been working at Business.com (Dex One) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I hate to sound redundant from all other posts but the benefits are pretty decent.

Cons

Even though managers at Business.com pay lip service to the importance of mutual understanding and shared commitment to a course of action, often their real focus is on winning the argument rather than strengthening the connection with their employees. Worse, the imbalance goes so far that having one’s point of view prevail is what is understood as leadership.

It’s a shame that few managers know how to lead nor do they make an effort to take leadership courses. Simply having an advanced education or having 10+ years of work experience does not qualify as being an expert leader. Times are changing; an executive’s job is no longer to command and control but rather to cultivate and coordinate – the two things lacking in this company. To achieve an efficient running organization, it is not only imperative to have a product or service that everyone wants/needs but it’s as equally important to have the people of that organization feel as if they are part of a community that is striving uniformly towards the same goal. They also have to have a clear vision of what that goal is otherwise they are just lost lambs wondering with no direction.
    The lack of caring and leadership at Business.com is a recipe for disaster. The company’s morale is low and at the first sign of the economy improving, many good employees will leave.

Lastly, I can't fathom how managers expect loyalty from their subordinates when they themselves are not willing to be loyal to their own direct reports.

To summarize - the company lacks vision, lacks leadership, lacks loyalty, and most importantly, for such a small company it has poor communication across departments.

Take the time to know and analyze the problems that exist in your teams. Be open to the fact that the problem may well indeed be that your leadership style isn't working. Invest in your employees!

There are newer employer reviews for Business.com (Dex One)