There are newer employer reviews for Butler University

A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Butler University

Pros

Family oriented environment throughout the University; Hardworking; Great Involvement from Alumni and their connections; Collaboration among colleagues; Opportunities to network with others across campus

Cons

Lack of a "career path" once here; difficult to promote; not all departments have flexible working hours and open to a work/life balance; don't always think outside the box

Be more open to flexible schedules and the next generation; be open to thinking outside of the box when it comes to HR issues; look within the company for promotions (great job on looking outside and good for bringing new information here, but some people work long and hard to move up the "ladder"); provide assistance and/or guidlines for promotion (i.e. an action plan for each position); provide learning opportunities and funding to do so to staff too (faculty already receive this type funding in some manner)

14 Other Employee Reviews for Butler University (View Most Recent)

Great place that could be better

Former Employee - Associate Dean in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Associate Dean in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Butler University

Pros

Good civil community, good financial support. I arrived without tenure and in 8 years became the associate dean. I liked working there, it was a good place, but had to be rather careful about my personal views because it is a very conservative place. I'm a democrat and supportive of gay rights and not totally in line with capitalism as the best answer for everything.

Cons

very conservative and not very diverse. diversity was really a problem. Very wealthy students and mostly white, both faculty and students created a very homogeneous situation that I found rather stultifying.

work on diversity, be a bit more proactive

Wonderful place to work but there are fiscal realities to entry level work at a private university

I worked at Butler University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-The quality of the institution
    -The opportunity to network with talented faculty
    -Beautiful campus
    -Access to cultural events

Cons

-Entry-level staff pay is almost prohibitive to working there as a young, single person

There are newer employer reviews for Butler University