C.H. Robinson Worldwide

www.chrobinson.com
  www.chrobinson.com
There are newer employer reviews for C.H. Robinson Worldwide

Best career choice to date

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at C.H. Robinson Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Amazing management that believes in helping to advance careers
- Majority of the promotions come from with the company
- Very competitive salaries and amazing benefits
- Extremely unique set of challenges in terms of the type of work done
- Many career growth and continuing education opportunities
- Promote team work and cross department cooperation
- Co-workers are more like friends and family, people that you truly care about

Cons

- Work-life balance is promoted on the surface but very difficult to maintain in reality because in order to succeed work needs to come first always
- Very fast paced and at times stressful work environment
- Difficult to break into management circle if that is the career track desired
- There are at times a lot of gossip because of the friends and family nature of co-workers

Overall this is an amazing company to work for and I inspired everyday I come to work. There are a ton of great opportunities that work promote career and personal advancement. The only downside is it is hard to have a properly balanced life as the work environment is very fast paced and requires complete dedication of ones personal and work life. However, I believe the rewards are worth the trade off. I would suggest opening up the management circles are others to have an opportunity to advance down that path. It seems to kind of be a friends club where promotion in the upper circles seems to be based on who you know and not what you.

354 Other Employee Reviews for C.H. Robinson Worldwide (View Most Recent)

Good experience, equal Number of Pro's and Con's

Former Employee - Transportation Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Transportation Sales Representative

I worked at C.H. Robinson Worldwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits including 401k are competitive. Our GM and those that I have met are extremely knowledgeable and very skilled in the industry while keeping an "open-door" policy which is nice. Many industry subject matter experts work for Robinson. Stability of working for a Fortune 300 Company., pay structure can be tiresome if you're not hitting 20-30% growth but directly related to you and the branches success, no limit on growing your business, travel is encouraged but never forced, off-site training is encouraged but also available via webinar. Respected name in the marketplace which is a competitive advantage to start with.

Cons

Crazy high amounts of daily stress, dealing with rude and unreasonable customers and being encouraged to defend yourself to the "small guys" but be 120% subservient to the customers who pay freight invoices. , 80 phones ringing constantly (2 per desk), ever-changing expectations brought down by share-holders and executives (some being complete 180's from previous messages), 250 emails per day, certain goals that seem to be unrealistic from the start, cut-throat, condescending employees are usually those that are recognized for advancement, not those that display teamwork and REAL leadership skills. Pay structure can be tough if you're not growing in accordance to your budgeted numbers and aligning w/ the shareholders expectations.

Base salary and overall pay structure needs to be tweaked. The message that is being sent is "if you're not growing at a rapid pace then you're not going to be paid what you could have been" This isn't the right message when these employees spend the entire year working 45-50 hours a week (no overtime) managing and operating accounts that CURRENTLY are cash cows for the company but within a branch that may not hit 20-30% growth. The incentives need to continue but it needs to be less contingent on astronomical growth where personal, branch, and accounts have everything fire off 100% in a world of volatility and variables.

The office I was at lacked structure and consistency. My job title was always changing

Former Employee - Account Executive in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at C.H. Robinson Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced. Stable industry. This company is the industry leader, so brand recognition is unrivaled

Cons

Pay not very industry competitive without commissions. Little stability in job title. I could never get comfortable with what management expected of me.

Keep people in the same position for long enough to get comfortable.

There are newer employer reviews for C.H. Robinson Worldwide