C3, A company in control of it's future and the market

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been at C3 for over 2 years. The C3 I joined then is not the C3 today. It is better. It is exciting. It is focused. It is full of the best people I have ever worked with and continues to attract the kind of individual who wants to be challenged and rewarded. The market landscape that everyone thought was there in 2009 changed, as markets do. I know of no other startups that could have made the kind of adjustments C3 has over the past 3 years and survived. I've read some of the other posts and have to say that if anyone wants a glimpse into the real C3, come visit. This is a place where creativity is encouraged. It didn't feel that way when I first joined, but I can tell you that it is part of the daily routines now. C3 is well positioned for growth going into 2013. I recently sat down with one of the leading researchers and analysts in the energy and utility space that I have known for over 10 years. He sat through demonstrations of our software and said this..."Wow, I've seen a lot of demo's from a lot of vendors in this space. No one does this. How can we help you get the word out?" There are a lot of posts about how hard you work in this company. That is true. However, that is the type of people that want to come work here. This is not a place where one can do the bare minimum and survive, nor do I want to work with that type of person. If you are driven, passionate, creative, and still have a personality, come visit C3. We'll show you what we do.

Cons

As with most start ups, the hours can be long and the pressure high. But, it comes and goes with projects. One of the things I like most about this company is that we work "in the office" and the collaboration and energy is high, even with the hours we all work.

Continue to hire people who perform at the highest level. The hiring over the past year has been exceptional and I have been excited to see people choose C3 over other great opportunities.

Other Reviews for C3 Energy

Clear vision and strategy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time

Pros

C3 Energy has some of the best people I have ever worked with in the technology space. There is a clear strategy and vision and a focus on executing the strategy. The technology problem that is being solved is challenging and requires some of the best minds to address.

Cons

C3 Energy is a fast paced startup. There is little time to learn on the job and you will be required to take responsibility and deliver immediately.

Time Machine

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at C3 Energy full-time

Pros

- Executives are highly engaged in all decisions, many of whom were involved with Tom Siebel when he built his empire of fortune.
    - While it's not for everyone, some people do thrive in environment there and there's a certain feeling of "specialness" when tapped by the executive team

Cons

- Top down, command-style management combined with lack of focus, constant reprioritization, and micromanagement creates vast inefficiencies and stifles autonomy. A queue of people, literally and figuratively, line up for Siebel's approval for anything from whether or not to buy lunch to the details of an RFP. Many meetings are either canceled after the fact, or delayed quite a bit as a rippling effect from the top down.
    - Because many executives come from big company backgrounds, even though C3 is a relatively small company it has big company heirarchy, tools and policies. While these may be necessary at larger companies, they come with large costs to culture and efficiency.
    - many of the practices at both the executive and engineering level are outdated or not suited to the current line of business. It's a bit of a time machine back to the days when:

- waterfall-style software building was The Way software was built, and no alternatives were considered feasible
      - Big (aka expensive, aka proprietary) platforms were The Way, instead of smaller isolated services built by autonomous teams.
      - management at technology companies was considered necessary and important to motivate and give direction to engineers who, if left to their own devices, would build shoeboxes instead of rocketships
      - companies often divided employees between the "thinkers" and the "doers", the engineers being the doers, and there was little cross-pollination
      - Data Modelers were necessary to protect software engineers from mucking around in the data layer where they do not belong
      - it was deemed status quo/unavoidable that engineers would/should work long, late hours
      - automated testing was less rigorously applied
      - there were few to no options for collaborating well with remote participants

None of these things necessarily dictate failure, but they make for a challenging environment

Provide more autonomy, less hierarchy, and focus more on removing obstacles to efficiency rather than oversight.

I also highly recommend watching the video by Dan Pink on workplace motivation (on TED).

There are newer employer reviews for C3 Energy.

Worked for C3 Energy? Contribute to the Community!