CA Prison Health Care

www.cprinc.org
  www.cprinc.org
There are newer employer reviews for CA Prison Health Care

This is the worst system to work in.

Former Employee - Psychologist in Folsom, CA
Former Employee - Psychologist in Folsom, CA

I worked at CA Prison Health Care part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits.

Cons

Terrible morale, no sense of worth of professionals, burdensome regulations.
No real commitment to inmate welfare.

None. Beyond help.

4 Other Employee Reviews for CA Prison Health Care (View Most Recent)

Politics and incompetent people galore!

Current Employee - Staff Services Analyst in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Services Analyst in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at CA Prison Health Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is interesting and fun - I love the busy environment and how you can do so much. Union has your back so you are safe and taken care of.

Cons

Politics - everyone is super petty. Don't you dare ask anyone to do their job - they'll cut you down. I asked a coworker to help me find one of her cases and she made my life hell. Not to mention most people are incompetent. Your coworkers and bosses will mostly be in their 50's or 60's, and no matter how many times you explain it, do not understand what a URL is or what "double-click" means on a computer. I thought it was just my office, but I've been in several now and it's all hell. You will end up doing EVERYONE's job, and no promotion or anything, because they are trying to save money and when they do layoffs you are the FIRST to go because they rely entirely on seniority, not on who can actually do their job. This is a perfect job if you are worthless and can't do any work anyways - you'll fit right in. But if you actually work hard and are intelligent - RUN!

Work smarter, not harder. Layoffs should not be based on seniority, but people who do their work. So fire the people who suck, and promote the employees who actually give their all. Honestly this would be a great job if you got decent employees.

California Prison Health Care has a bad reputation, but it is worse than that

Former Employee - Physician
    Former Employee - Physician

I worked at CA Prison Health Care as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good Pay and reasonable courtesy.

Cons

The system doesn't give a darn about its inmates and discourages those that do.
    Beside my experience I know a psychologist who resigned 3 years before his pension benefit because the system was so intolerable to both prisoners as well as health care employees.

The system is so entrenched, there is no way to reform it.
    It would be necessary to start anew with a parallel organization, stabilize that system then phase out the old one.

There are newer employer reviews for CA Prison Health Care