There are newer employer reviews for CAL POLY

The Happiest Place...

Current Employee - Administrative Support Coordinator I in San Luis Obispo, CA
Current Employee - Administrative Support Coordinator I in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at CAL POLY full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Living on the California Central Coast with ideal climates, and work being only 5.2 miles from my home.

Cons

Due to our states failing economy, the staff at Cal Poly have not received a cost of living raise in over 4.5 years. Looming in the future for staff and faculty, is the possibility of a permanent 10% reduction in pay!

Stay out of the academic politics.

reviews filtered by
  1. Nice Place to work

Current Employee - Analyst in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at CAL POLY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great community to live in very safe and quiet. We have excellent weather. The salary is good and benefits are great. Most everyone here is nice to work with, overall I really like working here!

Cons

I don't like paying for parking. There haven't been and raises due to the state budget and there are unions.

Cal Poly, SLO doesn't value or reward IT professionals

Current Employee - Operating Systems Analyst in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Operating Systems Analyst in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at CAL POLY full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice place to live (but expensive!)

Cons

Salaries are low, something like 60% of going rate for IT professionals. Our union gave up any notion of raises about 10 years ago, so people from before that are much better paid. People that were hired more recently are hired at low pay and never get a raise. Morale is low. The typical way people get more money is to move from position to position.

Many IT managers are from the "good old days" and take care of their jobs and their buddies, but don't take care of business. Many IT managers are completely stale technically, and have little relevant knowledge or skills in current IT practices, and poor management skills.

The review system is fundamentally broken, good people are not rewarded and under performers are not dealt with, so they good people give up and leave, and the under performers get more and more entrenched. Many IT staff have been here far too long, are basically "retired in place" and get in the way of doing the right thing to protect their positions.

Old managers and old staff like the "good old ways" of doing things. Don't come here to do anything cutting edge.

You get what you pay for. Look off campus for new smart blood, and pay them enough to afford living in SLO. Fix the review system and the compensation system. People that do a good job should get raises. People that can't do their job should be removed from their positions.

There are newer employer reviews for CAL POLY