There are newer employer reviews for CAL POLY

Corrupt and a textbook example of State employees

Former Employee - Budget Analyst in San Luis Obispo, CA
Former Employee - Budget Analyst in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Campus is a positive environment. Working at a university can be like its own community and can be a very nice place to work. This university was that way years ago.

Cons

The evolution of poor management, marked lack of ethics on the part of management and individuals promoting to positions beyond their abilities has has created a very negitive and toxic work environment.

Start hiring off campus people for upper management positions. Individuals that started at the universty as a file clerk have no business in personnel management just because they have worked at the university for 10 years. If they have not been availing themselves of the educational benefits of the university, they are still just qualified as a file clerk. Hmmmm.

72 Other Employee Reviews for CAL POLY (View Most Recent)

Excellent education if you know what you want to do.

Current Employee - Student in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Student in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at CAL POLY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic Engineering programs, Great location, Great teachers

Cons

Very Agriculture-centered, lots of trucks and cowboys (which may not be a con at all...)

Not much you can do, but hope California stops being horrible with its money.

The Happiest Place...

Current Employee - Administrative Support Coordinator I in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Support Coordinator I in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at CAL POLY full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Living on the California Central Coast with ideal climates, and work being only 5.2 miles from my home.

Cons

Due to our states failing economy, the staff at Cal Poly have not received a cost of living raise in over 4.5 years. Looming in the future for staff and faculty, is the possibility of a permanent 10% reduction in pay!

Stay out of the academic politics.

There are newer employer reviews for CAL POLY