There are newer employer reviews for CAL POLY

4 stars for Cal Poly, 1 star for working for Campus Dining

Former Employee - Employee  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
Former Employee - Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free meal with every shift and you get to meet some pretty cool people when there's a lull in service

Cons

One of the managers is the worst person to deal with, ever. My very first shift (4 hours) and she wouldn't let me take a single break or use my meal. She'll tell you what to do but not how to do it so you're on your own.

To the one manager who cannot lead: What are you in a hurry for? When you're not barking orders, all you do is stand around looking for something to complain about.

66 Other Employee Reviews for CAL POLY (View Most Recent)

Amazing

I worked at CAL POLY

Pros

Everyone is extremely nice and I got to work on a wide variety of projects. The area is beautiful and so are the people that inhabit this wonderful place.

Cons

Not many downsides, besides the lack of diversity. The area is generally white and lacks culture that can be found in places like Berkeley or San Francisco.

Cal Poly can be a good option for students looking for work experience.

I worked at CAL POLY part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My supervisors were kind, competent, and willing to share their knowledge. Flexible hours and relaxed atmosphere. Fair compensation. There are chances to gain new experience and grow, if you look in the right places.

Cons

Large organization that can feel slow-moving at times. Legacy systems with a lot of history where the purpose is sometimes unclear. Some departments seem disconnected or untrusting of each other. Be prepared to regulate your own performance.

Find ways to increase communication and trust between departments. Encourage individuals to express what would make their work more meaningful. Give them the chance to move towards this. Create processes to support change in ways that feel natural.

There are newer employer reviews for CAL POLY

Worked for CAL POLY? Contribute to the Community!