There are newer employer reviews for CARQUEST

Unfortunate

Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at CARQUEST full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There seems to be pockets of talented people throughout the organization, but their ability to make substantial contributions is often limited by the "old guard" who continues to proclaim that they've "...been in this business for 30 years...".

Cons

Sadly, CARQUEST is living in the stone age. This once great company started by a passionate innovative entrepreneur has stagnated. Ironically, a lack of the same type of innovation that started this company is what has led to its current state. Complacency abounds as the company sits on the success of our founder, expecting it to carry us into the future.

An almost exclusive focus on cost cutting has resulted in flat business growth the last 5+ years and an environment where the appropriate resources to simply maintain are lacking. Mired in mountains of spreadsheets and reports, serving the customer has taken a back seat. This approach has been demoralizing to the employees and the poor results attest to it. The company has been dying a slow death for awhile and the purchase by Advance just validates that. (If CARQUEST was truly successful, they would be acquiring Advance, not the other way around.)

Now that Advance has purchased CARQUEST, it's time to shake things up. Don't accept the status quo anymore, INNOVATE. Grab the same passion that Owen Sloan had years ago and rebuild the company. Take risks, make mistakes, go after the competition where they breathe. Listen to the people closest to the work. Focus on increasing sales and capturing new customers, not simply cutting costs. There are no guarantees here, but at least you'll position the company for the fight ahead.

155 Other Employee Reviews for CARQUEST (View Most Recent)

Love the Automotive Industry....

Former Employee - Counter Sales/Driver
    Former Employee - Counter Sales/Driver

I worked at CARQUEST full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, fair benefits, customers service is the key.
    Pay not bad.

Cons

Training for counter sales needs to be more hands on and consistent. Sporadic use of the system is not training. The manager in my store thinks they are the only one who can answer the phone, create transfers, etc. If they spent more of that energy training, they would have more confidence in me as a counter sales person. Then I have a co-worker(s) who feel like I don't belong there because I don't know what I am doing. Lack of training makes me look bad and is bad for the customers.
    The two people who are training me will take over phone calls, push me out of the way and take over the sale. One of them (co-manager) has gone as far as to tell customers on the phone that I don't know s??t and just call and ask for him. Then he is upset when he has 3 calls to deal with.
    Manager has told me to go find something to do when I have tried to help him figure out how to do something on the computer in Windows.
    I am well trained in Windows and Excel. I have taken numerous college courses and worked in customer service for 13 years. But this is by far the worst training I have ever received.
    The inventory in the back of the store is a mess and needs to be reset. I have taken it upon myself to organize different areas.
    Other employees will just keep putting parts away where they think it should be not where it belongs.
    Then co-manager ( if that is what he/she thinks they are ) walks around from the minute they get to work with cell phone in hand texting and hiding in back, then when phone rings get upset if I am in the middle of one call and has to pick up other line. Will confront me in front of customers, swear at me in front of co-workers, customers & field reps.

Set up a scheduled amount of time every day for training, paperwork, conference calls, etc. Post it so counter people and drivers know that you are unavailable at these times. Co-mangers, supervisors post who or what your roll is and quit complaining about your expected duties. All of management needs to quit back stabbing one another and workers.
    Find time to properly train employees.

Hope Advance will be more friendly to distribution workers

Former Employee - Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I worked at CARQUEST full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I really can't think of any

Cons

flexability in your work schedule

look at the "teammates" and the job that they really do, DC teammates are working hard and not getting any of the perks that corporate teammates do. Worked on Christmas Eve and only got paid the hours worked not like corporate who had it off and was paid for the whole day

There are newer employer reviews for CARQUEST