CAVA

Hard Work and Low Pay

Current Employee - Virtual Teacher in Simi Valley, CA
Current Employee - Virtual Teacher in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at CAVA

Pros

Excellent Innovative Virtual Platform to learn a whole new way of teaching to students who can not attend regular brick and mortar traditional school setting.

Cons

Tremendously difficult administrative job. You never knew what expect of your your class size decreased. It is an "at will" employer meaning that you have no contract.

Better communication from your upper management to new and second year teachers on what the true effects of the economy will be on their job status for the next year.

18 Other Employee Reviews for CAVA (View Most Recent)

Disappointing.

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at CAVA

Pros

Working from home is a plus.

Cons

Overloaded paperwork, under paid. Professionals are not treated as such.

CAVA needs to respect their employees.

The right choice if you are burned out on teaching.

Current Employee - High School Teacher in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CAVA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Working from home
    - Flexible schedule
    - Great training program for new teachers
    - Fantastic co-workers

Cons

- Low(ish) pay, but take that with a grain of salt--there are lots of non-financial benefits to this job
    - SO many systems to learn and work with, and they are ever-changing. However, this is not unique to CAVA. Being in the first decade or so of online education, this is just one of the kinks that hasn't been worked out yet.
    - Extremely high turnover for administration and co-workers. I have never seen turnover like this in any company. There is someone new in the administration or department every 2-3 months.
    - Mandatory in-person PD days, which are inconvenient and terribly inefficient.

This is for the high school--this does not apply to K-8 teaching. CAVA is the perfect job for me at this point in my life. I left teaching to be more present with my family, and working from home allows me to do that and contribute financially. It's important to note that I was never going to return to the classroom--I had burned out completely. While education is a passion for me, classroom teaching is not where I'm effective. However, I'm highly organized, self-motivated, and I work best in a quiet, calm work environment--all of these things are strengths at CAVA.

The pay is better than private school but not comparable to public schools. However, you aren't paying for gas, student school supplies, childcare, classroom supplies, and all the extra expenses that come with classroom teaching. Also, during my work day, I can go to the dentist, have coffee with a friend, take a walk, workout, do laundry, or any other obligation that I would have had to take PTO for at previous jobs (not all in the same day, of course!). This improvement on quality of life not only increases my mood and therefore efficiency, but also is worth quite a bit monetarily to me.

This year the training program was done differently, and new teachers were given 3 weeks of studentless training. It didn't go off without a hitch, but there is a person whose entire job is supporting new teachers. You don't get that in other schools.

As far as workload, I am busy, but this is nowhere near the amount of work I was doing as a classroom teacher. I work for the high school, and previously, I was designing lessons, researching best practices, grading, organizing, and preparing for the school day from 7am to late in the evening. Now, I turn my computer on at 8 (our workday technically doesn't start until 8:30), and I close it at 4pm. I still do a fair amount of grading and organizing, but I block out time for that during the day. I work with a fantastic team who shares the responsibilities for live sessions, so actual "live" teaching takes up about 5-10 hours a week for me (plus more if someone needs extra attention).

Bottom line, this is an office job, not a teaching job. There are many benefits that aren't financial, but may make it worth the pay cut for some. It does for me. Being home with my kids, making dinner every night without stress, and still getting to help educate students--that's what my day looks like. I love working here.

There are newer employer reviews for CAVA