There are newer employer reviews for CB&I

Great Engineering Training Program...but that's where it ends, does not value education, not a learning organization.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Great engineering training program, good company to start an engineering career. Interesting projects in interesting locations.

Cons

It's who you know not what you know; inconsistent compensation packages. In non-technical roles the company has a significant talent deficit. Senior management is unsophisticated, does not implement management science or technology. Company wins work by basing estimates off past failures, fails again, then assigns failure externally. Not a learning organization, major corporate failures are taboo to discuss, even when walking right into another one.

Advice to Management

Rapid growth covers up repeated mistakes but you can't grow forever. A comprehensive gap analysis is required for your middle and upper levels of management. Is it rationale to expect tradesman, construction managers, and engineers to have the ability to serve the business interests of the corporation as managers on the basis of their seniority? Will the existence of this mechanism for career progression attract and retain top management talent?

Other Employee Reviews for CB&I

1. Plenty of Opportunity

Current Employee - Engineer in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in The Woodlands, TX

Pros

Very competitive salary, plenty of opportunity, benefits package is great in these down economic times. Global company. Travel the world.

Cons

The company is getting bigger

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

2. Good company gone south!

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Flexible working hours; very good work-life balance (at the local office level).

Cons

Upper management micro-manages projects and departments; project managers are very weak; company salaries are substandard for the industry; annual corporate reorganizations, creating chaos between offices and on major projects.

Advice to Management

Hire strong effective project managers and get out of their way so company can effectively complete projects; this would help CB&I retain clients and prevent lawsuits.