There are newer employer reviews for CBRE

Overworked and Underpaid-No work/life balance

Current Employee - Real Estate Accountant in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Real Estate Accountant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CBRE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a great place to gain experience in accounting. You'll learn to do alot including, preparing and post journal entries, working through the general ledger account, bank recociliations, capital funding, fixed asset depreciation, and putting together a financial report. There are very many opportunities for growth and movement.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, and understaff. You are given a portfolio of properties to manage. I feel like the quality of work I put forth would be better if I had less properties in my portfolio. Too many properties to manage means I have less time to clean up the mess. During reporting time you will have to work overtime, but instead of paying you overtime if you are hourly, they want you to flex the following week. Several reports are due at the same time. They work you like horse! When you need to go vacation, you cannot do it during reporting time. You can only take vacation when you have an open week with no reports. We get 100+ emails a day, so when you go on vacation, work gets backed up. You have to get as much work done as possible before going on vacation because no one will cover you. You pretty much have to bust you butt to get all your work done before vacation. Then when you get back from vacation you have a crap load of things to follow up on. It's almost not even worth going on vacation. They need to hire more accountants and spread out the properties so that we generate quality accounting services and not feel overwhelmed/overworked. The work/life balance is terrible. You see people working late all the time because we're just overworked. We go home cranky. I postposted part time school because work was taking up my life. I've had coworkers who had to cancel/quit part time jobs that were more recreational jobs because they were so busy working all the time at CBRE.

Hire more staff. If you want to produce quality accounting services spread the work load by hiring more staff. This should also ease the work/life balance.

524 Other Employee Reviews for CBRE (View Most Recent)

Managers Are Lost

Former Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large company, good colleagues, flexible hours are some of the qualities that make this place a great place to work.

Cons

Managers who don't even belong in the same office or even in the same line of business stick their noses where it doesn't belong, shift people to what they want to see them at and when the associates say something about it, managers ignore (especially if you are not a high revenue producer). So in other words, if you are a broker who makes lots of money for them, you can get away with almost anything. Literally. However, if you don't make revenue for them, managers will disregard you. There's one exception to this: if you become a favorite of the right manager (so not all managers fall into this category), you will be taken care of. But be careful, get on the wrong side of the same manager, and they will take you down. Yes, it's a HR lawsuit waiting to happen.

Get educated about the line of business. One cannot be in charge of everything and do a good job of it. Also, just because you change titles doesn't mean it makes you a manager.

Great place for brokers. Not a good place for support staff.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Average company with average health benefits.

Cons

There's no support for anyone who is not a broker. This is a brokerage business. If you're a broker you work on commision. If you're not, you have a salary. There aren't any perks or benefits for support staff. There doesn't seem to be any way to move forward unless you want to be a broker. There's no limit to your earnings if you're a broker.

There are newer employer reviews for CBRE