There are newer employer reviews for CBS Interactive

Place where you can make an impact and build a career.

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CBS Interactive part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exposure like a start up Great work life balance Lots of in house opportunities for movement Strong Foundation No or very less politics

Cons

Losing a lot of innovative minds to other competitors Less comp, benefit plans for employess compared to its competitors

Advice to Management

I see a lot of great minds switching companies. If comp is the issue, I would advise to look into the matter as it will be more beneficial/ profitable in a longer run

Other Employee Reviews for CBS Interactive

While perhaps not "fallen," the mighty have definitely stumbled.

Current Employee - Technical Producer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at CBS Interactive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In the San Francisco office, plenty -- great culture, atmosphere, open, fun, friendly. Other offices? Less so.

Cons

Perks are pretty much non-existent. It was a lot better in the days of CNET; now it's just yet another corporate office. It's not a BAD place to work, but as far as tech and media companies go, it's hardly the best.

Advice to Management

Loosen up. CNET's "hip-ness" was supposed to rub off on CBS's boring, stodgy, dinosaur corporate model, not the other way around.

2. Ideal mix of start-up mentality with corporate resources

Current Employee - Associate Web Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CBS Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The new CEO has made a big push toward some of the 'start-up' mentality of other big players in the area, such as breaking down obstacles to innovation, promoting individual forms of expression and fostering horizontal movement within the company. One of my main fears of working with a CBS affiliate was of there being a stay-the-course 'corporate dinosaur' mentality to the office: the top brass recognizes this danger and is actively working to counter it through positive means. It shows. - Management that lays out ambitious goals but gives individuals the means by which to address them. I appreciate this type of accountability that recognizes individual work habits. - Lots of in-house opportunities for movement. CBSInteractive has many different brands, teams and locations you can access if you think your current position is not suited to your strengths. Beyond that, there's the entire CBS behemoth to expand your horizons. - Stability. The company has a strong foundation of consistent profits and the backing of a media stalwart. This can be reassuring in an industry vulnerable to the tides of change.

Cons

- Still losing some of the more innovative minds to other competitors. - I've heard from others that the higher up you go the more you will experience cumbersome corporate politics. - You won't experience the sudden explosive profits or change found in a typical start-up, if that's what you're looking for. Even with recent changes it's still a big company.

Advice to Management

- I've seen several very bright minds lured away by other Silicon Valley giants. I'm not sure if this is purely a monetary issue, but there needs to be a more proactive push (before someone is contacted by other recruiters) to retain talent. - Many bright ideas (such as from Hack Day) die in their infancy. Make a more concentrated push to reward and foster small-team innovation. - Don't hedge so many bets on CNET. Both in a cultural and monetary sense, there is the sense it's 'CNET & Company' for the United States and other English speaking countries. Push more on new ways to expand audiences and potential for other holdings.