CDW

Sales focused company

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Mettawa, IL
Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Mettawa, IL

I worked at CDW

Pros

Interesting work environment. Sales team is very young and energetic. Decent salary overall. Access to a lot of new technology straight from the vendors.

Cons

the only decent salary is made through a low base pay and bonus structure to make up for it. Not much vacation time. Very Sales-centric company. CDW used to be a great place to work. It has since gone downhill

take some time and listen to your non-sales roles. look at why your company made the top 50 places to work for so many years ago.

682 Other Employee Reviews for CDW (View Most Recent)

CDW is a great place to start a career as well as a great place to develop an existing career.

Current Employee - Non-sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Non-sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

- A culture that promotes continued education and opportunities for advancement
    - Non-sales positions are mostly reflective of industry averages
    - Ability, in Sales, to build your own business and be as successful as you want to be through hard work and dedication
    - Relatively relaxed working environment

Cons

- CDW has strayed quite a bit from a company that once focused on their employee
    - Ever changing pay strucutre leads to loss of talent
    - Lack of adoption of Work From Home practices

Identify more internal talent for advanced management positions vs. finding it outside.
    Put more of the focus on the work-life balance of your employees.
    The employee is what made CDW successful from day 1, reward us with more agressive compensation.

CDW one of top places to work until going private

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at CDW

Pros

CDW was a top-ranked employer as a publicly-held company. Once it was purchased by a private equity firm, we had about 12 months of continued good treatment by our management.

Cons

After the first year of being run by a private equity firm, CDW became an unfriendly and threatening environment for employees. They laid off employees on the December 23rd, 2008, which was certainly a cold and insensitive thing to do.

That was followed by removal of our perks, slashing bonuses, freezing salaries, and telling us that we were competing for our jobs against other co-workers. Many co-workers would not cooperate on projects, and went out of their way to make you look bad to your boss, thinking that it would mean that they wouldn't be fired. Instead, the best and the brightest just found another place to work. Now, the talented staff are gone and the department is just a shell of its former self.

You build loyalty and teamwork by rewarding people, not simply telling them that if they do a good job, they won't be fired. The real talent can always find work elsewhere. All that is left behind are the people too incompetent to find other jobs.

There are newer employer reviews for CDW