CDW

www.cdw.com
  www.cdw.com
There are newer employer reviews for CDW

It's not what it used to be

Current Employee - Small Business Account Manager in Mettawa, IL
Current Employee - Small Business Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

The money is definately there if you're willing to work for it. The people that you meet there are for the most part fun loving and you're pretty much assured to find yourself a very solid group of friends. Depending on your skill sets, ambition, and patience there are more than just a few positions there that will certainly earn you more than a six figure salary. There is an overall feeling of friendly competition and commaradery that serves well for any sales driven individual.

Cons

Because the company is over 25 years old, the larger accounts that have real potential to spend are pretty much taken. That being the case, you have to work a LOT harder these days starting out to build a book of business. They don't do anything for you in bringing you new (good) leads so you're pretty much on your own. Even if you decide you want to purchase your leads, you still have to take into account that there is a very real possibility that those organizations are already in the system and most likely being worked. There is also a lot of "red tape" for lack of a better word that you'll end up dealing with internally to fill orders for your customers. More than you should have to deal with working for an organization with our capabilities that is. Your manager can make or break you. In the event that you get one with a "hands off" approach or one with a "by the book" attitude, you will find yourself VERY frustrated and finding a way to work around that will put a lot of stress on you.

Retaining talent was listed as one of the goals for 2010. CDW needs to do a lot more to take a proactive approach in assessing who they consider worth retaining, and working with them in a no nonsense manner to correct the issues that they bring to the table. You'll find that the ones that are ready to leave, still love what they do, they simply are losing faith in their companies ability to or willingness to help us do what we tell our customers we're going to do for them.

684 Other Employee Reviews for CDW (View Most Recent)

Not simply a start, CDW can be your home!

Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

In reading other reviews of my company I decided to write my own. To anyone questioning if they should take a job offer from this organization, let me make it simple: DO IT! CDW is not simply a "springboard" into IT sales or any other role for that matter; it is a mansion with endless doors of opportunity. Sure, starting as an Account Manager may be difficult, stressful, and in some respects underpaying, but mark my words that if you put in your dues and simply perform at or beyond your expections (and I'm not talking sales #s, I'm talking effort), you WILL be noticed and you WILL be successful. Want to be the front-line liason between customer and vendor making upwards of $200K a year? Work hard and your time will come. Want to move to Marketing? build relationships with your vendors and you will have advocates to back you up. Interested in Management? Develop your sales skills, display leadership abilities beyond your peers, and you WILL be noticed.

I grew tired of reading people's complaints of this organization's habits of "promoting by popularity and not experience," or "underpaid, work like slaves and make no money".....read reviews from ANY other job on glassdoor and you'll see the exact same complaints. What makes CDW DIFFERENT is the fact that its very culture enables self-starters and hard workers to indeed move where they want to be and make the kind of money they want and deserve. CDW coworkers, from Account Managers up to Senior VPs, treat each other with respect. Executives have an open-door policy and will answer any question you have for them. The company is culturally diverse, and career paths are outlined for those who wish to pursue them. Again, the same complaints you see over and over again can be said about pretty much every other corporation; CDW however stands a cut above the rest in terms of empowering its coworkers (CDW's term for employees) to always be striving for promotion, and getting them where they want to be...nothing comes easily, and you have to work hard to get there.

Cons

sometimes the different sales groups tend to compete with one another, be it inside vs. field executives or even managed services teams. We would all benefit from a more structured alignment of groups working together for a single goal....which I believe the VPs are already working on.

Please dont take for granted the more tenured Account Managers who have put in their dues to earn large customers; we're losing some great talent due to territory shifts, and our largest customers cannot be easily replaced by new and fresh Account Managers. Other than that keep up the great work!

Would be a great job for a high school student

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDW

Pros

No dress code enforced, you get to use a computer with dual monitors, most of the people are young (under 35)

Cons

No professionalism, upper management is very incompetent, strong focus on "effort numbers" even if you are one of the top sales representatives, lack of communication from upper management on new initiatives, while you do about 80% of the work- you take home only about 1% of the pay, no career path

While your best employees don't often show up as an "asset" on your balance sheet, the revenue and profit each employee brings in can be measured. Use that as a metric in measuring your best sales representatives as opposed to the "number of phone calls" a sales representative makes.

There are newer employer reviews for CDW