CDW

www.cdw.com
  www.cdw.com
There are newer employer reviews for CDW

Effort Effort Effort..... Dialing for $'s doesn't matter how much you sell, just make more calls!

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mettawa, IL
Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

One of the best things working at CDW provides you is opportunity! Opportunity to grow personally and career wise. Most people will come in as an entry level account manager. Put in your 12 months without performance issues, and then you can move any where in the company. The move is usually to an easier job, with better pay!

Cons

At CDW you have to be ready for a very idealistic management team. They do take surveys and try to get a feel for what we want, but they never really get the jest of what we're trying to say. They are too concerned over "effort numbers" (the way our work is daily evaluated) and not concerned as much for the end result. (In other words, someone can make 20 calls a day, be on the phone for three hours, and sell $5000, but they were supposed to make 55 calls, three hours on the phone, and sell $2500. So they get in talked to, because they obviously did not put as much "effort" in as the other person!

Come do our jobs for a day! Stop trying to think you understand what we go through on a daily basis. It's much different from when you used to do this job!

674 Other Employee Reviews for CDW (View Most Recent)

There are great perks for working at CDW.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Voorhees, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Voorhees, NJ

I have been working at CDW

Pros

There are a lot of perks at CDW, especially if you are in sales. You have the ability to make as much money as you are willing to put the work towards. Also, the vendors praise Account managers because they sell their stuff and will give you free stuff, gift certificates, take you out to dinner and lunch, etc. CDW also looks out for what is best for it's employees, most people would disagree with that, but it is definitely true. It is corporate America so nothing is perfect...

Cons

The benefits aren't the greatest, not bad but could be better. Also, they hire a lot of kids out of the college for not too much money. It can take 2 or 3 years to start making good money, but you can get a base paying job for more then the base at CDW.

Don't keep us in the dark.

Good Company, but...

I have been working at CDW

Pros

Still has a good corporate culture. Compared to other places I have worked, senior management is concerned about employees and doing the right thing. There is still a decent level of career mobility, opportunity and growth. Fellow employees are generally good people and there's cooperation in most areas. Yeah, there's all those little goodies - the bagels twice a week, child care (not cheap) and fitness center on site if you're in Vernon Hills, amusement park outings, ice cream - but those only go so far.

Cons

Salary and benefits are on the low side of average. CDW can still be very backward in some ways for a company its size, and lacks many of the systems, tools and organization you'd expect to find at smaller companies. And there a few extremely bad, borderline psychotic managers who are driving good people out of the company - I work for one of them. Too many senior managers are being fooled by horrible managers who suck up and manage up well, but are destroying morale, causing people to leave and hurting the company as a result. They turn a blind eye to the bad managers when they suspect or know what's truly going on.

CDW is at a critical crossroads where things could go very good or turn very bad.

There needs to be a serious, well planned investment in business systems and infrastructure. You need to invest in data and reporting - the company is driving blind in too many areas. We don't have the information we need to make good business decisions. Technology for Sales has taken too much priority over every other area. Yes, tools for Sales are critical, but if the company can't ship what Sales sold out the door, take care of the customers and control costs, Sales tools are not going to do a thing to create growth and profitability. Where is the strategic leadership in this area? CDW is far, far behind.

Get out there and find out what is really going on with the coworkers - and weed out the destructive managers. You think you're communicating with the coworkers, but you need to do much more.

Don't kid yourselves - there is a lot of bitterness over the debt the company is now carrying and the pressure being placed on coworkers in light of the huge payouts the executives received when CDW was purchased. Many employees feel the executives plundered the company's wealth, and are hypocritical when they expect coworkers to do more with less and for less to increase "EBITDA". Please don't try to tell us "we're all owners now". Strictly speaking, that's true, but the executives will get another round of multi-million dollar payouts when CDW is sold or goes public again, and the average coworker will get a few bucks.

There are newer employer reviews for CDW