There are newer employer reviews for CEB

Good place to get your feet wet

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at CEB

Pros

fun to work with like minded young people. the performance review process is quite illuminating and much more developed than at other firms

Cons

Being a mix between consulting and industry work, it is hard to transition to either. Some skills are not taught well that are useful in external positions (e.g., powerpoint).

Advice to Management

Develop techniques to better manage high turnover of millenials. Their expectations are different than other generations of workers. Hire more senior manager with a balance of EQ and IQ vs. just IQ.

reviews filtered by

Not what it's depicted to be

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at CEB

Pros

Great coworkers. Some very talented, intelligent young professionals. As a starting point out of college it was not a bad place to start my career...initially

Cons

Communication coming from management is conflicting, deceptive, and overall very disorganized. Management is promoted based mostly on friendships and not because of any discernible management competencies. One's experience there is largely dictated by your direct manager. This usually varies from "eh, ok" to "absolutely terrible". The managers are more caretakers and gatekeepers of information than they are people who know how to motivate and encourage performance. Most just use what's called a management template that consist of pointless meetings and games when it comes to influencing performance.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that can actually manage, rather than just promoting someone because they were adequate as an associate and display a bubbly personality and are your friend. Be honest with your workers, we're all adults and can take the truth.

Use this company as a professional stepping-stone then quickly get out

Current Employee - Strategic Research Consultant in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Strategic Research Consultant in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at CEB

Pros

If you want some great resume bullets, need to change careers, or are otherwise unemployed, CEB is a good bet. It's was like a second MBA in many ways. Pay is good. Your co-workers rock. Maintain as much distance from folks above MD as possible.

Cons

Having worked in numerous places including military, finance, consulting, and non-profit, I can confidently say that CEB is the worst run organization I have ever seen. I've worked with C-level execs, diplomats, general officers, and senior elected officials and I have never witnessed a less professional cadre of management. Senior mgt inherited an amazing product which they have thoroughly trashed. Exec committee meetings are embarrassing, literally a joke. The board is clueless, absolutely clueless, about the product. They simply do not know what the company does. No idea where the shareholders are....

Advice to Management

ask for help, then actually implement the advise; or do something else

There are newer employer reviews for CEB