CFP

www.cfp.net
  www.cfp.net
There are newer employer reviews for CFP

A do-gooder place to work and make a difference in the Financial Services industry.

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at CFP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well defined connection between core values, mission and annual goals/ strategies all the way down to day-to-day operations.

Cons

Office politics could get obnoxious at times, and some of the personalities at the top are a bit much to be exposed to on a daily basis. It is difficult (though neccessary) to listen to opinions on every little detail from the 70K+ advisors that make up the CFP population.

Choose outside consultants carefully. Some do more harm than good.

4 Other Employee Reviews for CFP (View Most Recent)

So much potential, but so few results and little planning and follow through.

I worked at CFP full-time

Pros

One of the few compliments I can give this organization is the quality of staff at the Director level (sometimes) and below. Support/administrative, professional and manager level staff were in general bright, competent, and honest individuals. I mostly encountered pleasant people in my five years at CFP Board.

Cons

However, imho upper management lacked the cohesion, thoughtfulness and perhaps even desire to provide a positive and productive work environment for staff and conduct their core business in a proper manner. Some personalities at the upper mgmt level are less than savory or pleasant individuals.

In general, my experience with the "leadership" team could be characterized by poor communication, less-than-straightforward feedback and coaching, and little support for professional development activities. Some departments were a revolving door, often leaning on temp staff, and it was often difficult to get things done. High-level decisions and strategy often seemed short-sighted and reactionary.

I'd have to say that the review from April 6, 2011 is spot on. There was a lot of talk about core organizational principles and leadership values, but I didn't see much of those play out. Feedback was one-way and it seemed to really be a "take it or leave" environment where only "yes men" and group think was rewarded. I think management needs to really consider the environment they're fostering if they intend to retain strong/talented staff.

Very stuffy environment, little room for growth

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at CFP as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good office location, nice and clean space, quiet office.

Cons

Very stuffy environment with little growth potential. Rely too heavily on bringing in external help that turnover at the lower levels is very high.

There are newer employer reviews for CFP